facings, topping for concrete porch

My home contractor built me a concrete porch and steps. As per our plan, he used flagstones discarded from an old driveway to top the porch, setting and "grouting" them like big, thick tiles. Other than that, the concrete is unadorned. The vertical front and sides just look like plain old concrete, emphasis on "plain." The steps are completely unadorned, even the tops of the steps.

I don't like the flagstones. I like the idea of the flagstones, but the execution of the idea looks bad. The flagstones are 3 1/2 to 4 inches thick, and the edges which show around the edge of the porch are gappy and rough.

Is there a better idea for the tops and sides of a concrete porch? The porch pillars are set on risers to give room for the flagstones. Is there something that can be done to face the vertical sides of the porch, so it doesn't look like it was designed by the same person who builds the interior walls of overpasses?

I'm having a different concrete person build a stamped concrete driveway and walkway with color and patterns. I've seen his work and liked it. Can something like that be added on top of an existing concrete porch-and-steps, or does that kind of patterning require a fresh start?

Any suggestions? The top of the porch looks like a very strong five year old constructed it. And the sides look raw and industrial.

Jim Beaver

Reply to
Jim Beaver

Tech stone "Granite" by Beautitone. A trowel on epoxy stone coating

Rudy