eyeglass-lens falls out (even with bolt); for safety, epoxy?

My lenses will fall out of my frames.
This is even when there's an actual BOLT (with nut) being used.
(This latest time: nut has somehow unscrewed from bolt (and disappeared) and of course the frame springs apart and lens drops out.)
SAFETY ISSUE: should this happen when driving in heavy, fast traffic, one could end up dead, especially with the instant mix of one eye seeing and the other totally blurred can screw up the brain mechanisms for "seeing" -- at least for me.
So, suppose you used epoxy or some of that "instant"-glue to avoid this happening; *where* (and how) would you apply the stuff?
Around the bolt and especially the nut?
Along the inside of the rim?
Now, when and if your eyes have changed and you need a new prescription, how to UN-glue the lens?
Is there some kind of a solvent that would work?
How about a Dremel tool?
Thanks!
David
David Combs wrote:

Costco is low priced.
Lou
David Combs wrote:

I've actually had that happen. It's very distracting. :-O

Don't glue them. You'll cause yourself too much trouble. Instead:
1. Take the glasses to any optician. They'll fix them properly for a few dollars. If you take them back where you got them, they might do it for free.
2. Buy a kit of tiny screws and screwdrivers at the pharmacy, then futz around until they're (kinda) fixed. It will cost about the same amount as having the optician do the job right.
If you really want to "glue" the screw in place, use LockTite, which is designed for the task. It will come loose when you want it to.
--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement

As I see it, you have two options. One, spend a few bucks (or it may be free where you got the glasses) and get them fixed properly. Two, putz around with them, and have them fall apart on the I-5 and get killed, and your worries will be over.
Oh, I forgot about three. Put super glue and loctite and all the improper screws and nuts on them and render them useless.
Steve
David Combs wrote:

them. The lenses need to be the correct size to match the frame. They should use your frame as the pattern, not us a different "same" frame or pattern/template.
Take them back and demand what you paid for, a properly dispensed pair of eye glasses.

Just take them anywhere. My husband is very rough with his glasses and I've never been charged anything for the minor repairs at any eye-glass store. He didn't even buy the glasses there, and there's never any charge.
David Combs wrote:

Not for me. I typically wear only one contact lens. I read with my left eye (the lens) and drive with my right. Sort of home-made bifocals.

How's your depth perception?
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

Excellent. Well, good enough.
That is, I don't hit things.
Or at least nothing important.
Yet.

Just checking!
HeyBub wrote:

:)
Officer: "Didn't you see that car ahead?"
LadyDriver: "No, I was blinded by the red light."
Officer: "What red light? There's only a stop sign."
Lady: "Oh, the flashing red light on the car I hit."

dpb wrote:

left turn. I honestly didn't notice the sign by the traffic light, because I was too distracted by the cop car that had been tailgating me, and was focused on my rearview mirror.
I didn't bother trying that explanation on the cop. I said I didn't notice the sign, and he called me a liar.
-- aem sends...
aemeijers wrote:

Similar. When I went through the police academy, the instructor told us to either a) Lecture the driver or b) Write a ticket, but never both. Here's an example that happened to me after making an illegal left turn:
Cop: Are you aware you made an illegal left turn? Me: Yes. Cop: (begins writing ticket) What you did is extremely hazardous. Me: I know. That's why I was extremely careful. Cop: There have been a number of wrecks on this corner just because of people like you. Me: That's odd. I've lived just down the street for over twenty years. I pass this intersection at least four times a day and in all that time I've never seen an accident on this corner. Are you sure you're at the right intersection? Cop: Why did you think you could make an illegal left turn? Me: The traffic is congested. Probably because you and your cohorts over there have created a traffic jam by pulling people over. Cop: One of my fellow officers was struck by a car making an illegal left turn - just like you did. Me: Oh, that's probably because he was lurking around the corner, hiding, ready to pounce, just like you, instead of directing traffic to ease the congestion. I worry about your priorities. Cop: Don't get smart with me! Me: Would you like for me to call for a traffic supervisor?
Not another word was said.
Of course I contested the ticket in traffic court. My first question was:
"Officer, the citation, under 'location' says 'East bound, North Loop South at West road.' I'm tempted to ask what color was the bear, but could you tell us what this weird notation means?"
He couldn't.

actually,you probably should have told him about your concern at being tailgated(and possibly rear-ended!).(in a respectful manner) I believe it might have helped.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
David Combs wrote:

Let's play, "What is the most complicated, destructive, and hare- brained method I can think of to fix a sickeningly simple problem???"

Then the bolt (with nut) was not properly tightened.

Yup, got your priorities straight here: My life depends on these glasses staying together because I'm easily distracted and really shouldn't be driving a car, but I'm too socially inept or cheap or afraid or delusionally paranoid to have them fixed properly by a professional...
Uh-huh.

Oh my.

Um, no. You apply a tiny drop of thread locker/sealant to the bolt, then thread the nut on.

Yeah, great idea there. Let's glue the lenses in.
Look. There's a cause and effect relationship here:
Effect: Lens falls out. Cause: Bolt comes unscrewed.
They taught you how to deal with simple problems like this in elementary school. Math, history, spelling... It wasn't about teaching you to add, it was about teaching you how to approach a problem and deal with it.
The correct answer is, prevent the bolt from coming unscrewed, and the lens won't fall out.
Do you trade in your car when it runs out of gas?

Simple answer: You don't glue them. That would be stupid.
If you glue the lens in, the bolt will still come unscrewed. You haven't solved the problem, only treated the symptom and ruined a perfectly good pair of glasses.
*JEEZ* the dumbing-down of America as I live and breathe. Yeah yeah yeah, same old bleeding-heart line, everybody isn't as smart as me and I should be more understanding... Come on. Really. Come on. Sure this stuff is second-nature to me because of my interests and upbringing, but it should be within the mental faculties of an average person. We're not talking about tearing down an engine here. I'm not even asking you to take your toaster apart. It's a freaking pair of glasses, two moving parts. It's an elementary-school physics lesson with lenses.
The thought that people like this comprise the majority of this country, and are the ones in control, is scaring me too much to think about it any more.