Eye screw coming out on gate baby is shaking

Hello, I have an eye screw on a gate that is containing my one-year old in the living room. The problem is that the baby keeps shaking the gate and the hole is getting bigger and bigger in the wall, which makes the eye screw loose. Is there a way to shore up the hole? I am sure most fathers have had this problem.

Reply to
Sennin

Shaking baby syndrome?

Enter the kid in a dance contest, and problem solved !!!!

You can always put the eye screw into a stud, and not just plaster.

Reply to
spamfree

ideally you place screws into studs not just the dry wall.

the zip it anchors

These will eventually pull out as well as anything else will unless you hit a stud. Baby is or will be stronger than the installation soon.

Reply to
SQLit

Thanks. I am into the stud. and the hole just keeps getting bigger and bigger. What do you think of that wood paste? Think that would buy me some time?

Reply to
Sennin

Hi, Use epoxy. Dip the screw in it and put it back. Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Why dont you go to a hardware store, spent 25 cents, and just get a longer eye screw. If it's in the stud, it's barely in. You probably got a 3/4" eye, and 1/2" sheetrock. You are barely into the stud. Buy yourself a 2" or 2 1/2" eye screw. (unless baby isnt worth the sizable amount of 25 cents.)

Reply to
spamfree

Sennin:

S > I have an eye screw on a gate that is containing my one-year old in S > the living room. The problem is that the baby keeps shaking the gate S > and the hole is getting bigger and bigger in the wall, which makes the S > eye screw loose. Is there a way to shore up the hole? I am sure most S > fathers have had this problem.

If a stud is not available perhaps use a molly anchor and suitable eye screw (bolt style rather than screw style).

If the molly loosens then perhaps a strip of wood or board bridging the studs and mount the screw hook to the wood.

  • Bad Horror Movie: The Texas Chainsaw Macarena
Reply to
barry martin

I'm with the ohter guy -- longer eyescrew. I've also heard of pushing part of a tooth pick into the hole to tighten things up. But the longer screw is a better answer.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

According to Stormin Mormon :

"Both" is the best answer here.

Dip toothpicks into some glue, and jam/tap them into the hole. Break off the toothpicks after it's dried, then redrill (if necessary) for a longer eye screw.

Reply to
Chris Lewis