Extreme makeover low life family

Send the jerks to jail. What a bunch of ingrates.

Stephen King

This is what happens when you are given things gratis instead of earning them yourself.

You fail to appreciate the true value.

Reply to
MRS. CLEAN

I have heard other show familys have had similiar troubles, or have been forced to sell their new home for taxes.

the shows building mansions likely makes it worse.

stuff like this will end the show, after kjilling its popularity

Reply to
hallerb

I watched a few minutes of that show once, and it seemed insane to build a

4,000 sq ft palace for people who make less than minimum wage. Even with the taxes paid and no mortgage, how will these people afford the utilities and regular upkeep? Why don't they build them a modest home they can actually afford? Seems the most sensible thing to do is to immediately sell the house and buy something reasonable. There are probably rules against that, though.

I watched a few minutes of that show once, and it seemed insane to build a 4,000 sq ft palace for people who make less than minimum wage. Even with the taxes paid and no mortgage, how will these people afford the utilities and regular upkeep? Why don't they build them a modest home they can actually afford? Seems the most sensible thing to do is to immediately sell the house and buy something reasonable. There are probably rules against that, though.

-------------------------

And often the house ends up being inappropriate for the surrounding neighborhood...

A local radio station raised money for a lady who was living in what amounted to a roach motel.. They built her a new home. She turned the new house into a shit house..

Same with habitat 4 humanity..Garbage in garbage out...

Reply to
in2-dadark

You've got it wrong about H4H. They build moderately priced housing in keeping with neighborhood comps, and make it a point that what they build fits with the neighborhood. People who buy houses from H4H also have to go through a screening and qualification process to make sure the prospective owners are likely to be successful repaying the loan and keeping up the property.

Reply to
Abe

I am going to give a MAJOR second to what Abe said above.

Habitat for Humanity does a wonderful job and most of the people receiving homes deserve and take care of them.

Please do not let a poster who is unaware of reality influence your choices here. Habitat is a worthy charity and deserves whatever help you may be able to provide.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

Thanks Colby. I just looked and realized I was responding to a WebTV user. I probably just wasted my breath.

Reply to
Abe

What is preventing you from starting a non-profit to address that segment better? Maybe we should have a problem with aids researchers not spending any time on cancer research...

Reply to
salty

My only problem with H4H is the preference given to single women (or anyone) with kids. How about helping deserving people without young children? That, at least around here, never, ever, happens with H4H.

Since when does "humanity" include only those with small children? PLONK!

It doesn't, dimwit. The point is that intelligent people understand that just because someone does something good for a particular group, does not mean they have to do the same for all groups to justify their efforts. Applaud H4H for what they do to help as many as they can, and castigate those who do nothing for anyone. That no doubt includes YOU, you selfish asshole.

PLONK your mother.

Reply to
salty

I work with Habitat. They issue mortgages, so they have to meet the same non-discrimination requirements as every other lender. I didn't meet all of the 30 or so new homeowners last year, but from what I saw at one mass move-in celebration, several of them were single people without families.

Demographics plas a part here, too. Perhaps fewer singles feel a need to settle down than do people with kids.

Reply to
SteveBell

You object that they strive to help the most people with each effort?

Gosh - that's usually a measure of good use for a charity dollar.

Banty

Reply to
Banty

Not to mention that children have just about zero earning power in our society, unlike during the Industrial Age, so providing them with housing along with education does make sense in that we're developing future citizens.

Reply to
KLS

That is the type of prejudice that reflects on the stupidity of the poster. Why not say that this applies to a black poster? I have a computer but find webtv is much more user friendly. I can relax on the sofa with a cat in my lap and use my 27 inch TV as the monitor. With the computer I have to sit at a desk and wear reading glasses. Since my area doesn't support any high speed access I have to use dial up. The computer is MUCH slower on dial up than the webtv.

---MIKE---

Reply to
---MIKE---