Extra GFI line.

In my basement I have a line coming out of the breaker box; it has its own breaker. The line serves both lighting and wall sockets. The first item after the breaker is a GFI socket.
Why is a GFI placed on this kind of circuit?
Peter.

'nuff said.
But... You're more likely to have water in the basement than elsewhere in the house. Even if it's only a damp floor caused by humidity. Better safe than sorry.
I have my bathroom lights on the GFI. More for the conveinence of the wiring than to provide the GFI protection to them since there are no outlets on them.

PVR wrote:

The US National Electric Code requires GFCI protection for receptacle outlets in unfinished basements. If that circuit supplies a receptacle outlet in an unfinished portion of the basement the GFCI is required. -- Tom Horne
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/electrical-wiring/part1 /