Extra furnace cycle?

Hi,

I've got a new Heil 1-stage upflow furnace (installed last Apr.) in my little brick bungalow in the midwest.

The heat cycle is something like:

T-stat calls for heat LIttle fan sucks fumes out. Heat element gets power. Gas valve opens, burners fire Blower kicks in Gas valve closes Blower kicks out

Occasionally and only intermittently, after the heat cycle has been complete for some time, the blower will run for about 10 seconds and then shut down.

I can't find anything that explains this in the Sequence of Ops documentation.

Any clue?

TIA, Puddin'

Pease pudding hot, Pease pudding cold, Pease pudding in the pot Nine days old ...

Reply to
Puddin' Man

The furnace fan is designed to kick in when the heat exchanger reaches a certain temperature. What is happening in your case is the fan is not running long enough to cool the heat exchanger after the heat cycle. The residual heat in th exchanger tells your fan to kick back in to cool it down for those 10 or so seconds. You have to set the fan to run longer after the heat cycle and this will prevent the fan from kicking back in. There is an adjustment in the furnace.

Reply to
Jimi

I think you've nailed it.

I somehow expected a senser to shut fan down when the HE cooled to a certain temp.

There's a jumper for timed shut-off of fan: 30, 60, 100, etc secs. 'Twas set to 60.

I set it up to 100. If it blows too much cool air, I guess I'll go back to 60. It wasn't re-cycling very often (maybe

1 heat cycle in 10) and I doubt it'd hurt anything.

Mostly I just needed to know what was going on. Might hafta maintain/repair this unit for many, many years.

Much Thanks, Puddin'

Pease pudding hot, Pease pudding cold, Pease pudding in the pot Nine days old ...

Reply to
Puddin' Man

Glad I was able to help. I had a furnace guy show me the same thing during a yearly check up as I was having the same problem.....Jimi

Reply to
Jimi

Hire a professional

Reply to
Professional

New unit, under warranty, why are you messing with it

Reply to
m Ransley

Maybe because changing how long the blower stays on after the burner shuts off is a setting, not a warranty issue? And that he fixed it be changing an obvious jumper setting instead of paying for a service call.

Reply to
trader4

You've heard it before: "Inquiring Minds Wanna Know!"

They prolly woulda come out under the warranty.

Idea was to analyze heat op. cycle, figger what it was doing, make any adjustments my po' self. Woulda worked if they hadn't scattered the info on settings across several manuals.

So I had to ask a Q here, I got an answer, found the relevant info, and fixed it. Acceptable result.

If there's a serious malfunction, I'll call service under warranty. Otherwise I'll fix it myself, which is what'll happen when it's out of warranty.

Puddin'

Pease pudding hot, Pease pudding cold, Pease pudding in the pot Nine days old ...

Reply to
Puddin' Man

I gotta ask....How did you come up with that Nick name and the signature...is it some sort of nursery rhyme? Jimi

Reply to
Jimi

Many years ago it was appropriated from a volume on blues (music) history. Then I was kinda stuck with it. The 7-year-old sig looked like:

  • Arrest records (for the infamous Storeyville *
  • district of New Orleans) at the turn of the *
  • century list underworld characters with bizarre *
  • aliases like Drop o' Sack, Cinderella, Pudding Man, *
  • Willie the Pleaser, Diamond Dick, Lead Pencil, ... *

Pert near. From

Pease Pudding Hot Rhyme Nursery Rhyme & History

Pease pudding hot - the origins of the words are based on a traditional British dish The pease pudding hot referred to in the words of this poem is a dish which is still enjoyed in Britain today. It is a smooth, thick sauce, (referred to as a pudding in the rhyme for the sake of alliteration) which has a dark yellow colour. Pease pudding is a hot dish made from dried peas - it can be re-heated as often as required (Pease pudding in the pot - nine days old). Pease pudding is traditionally served hot with boiled bacon or a form of sausage called a saveloy.

A Mother Goose Nursery Rhyme Pease pudding rhyme poem Pease pudding hot, Pease pudding cold, Pease pudding in the pot - nine days old. Some like it hot, some like it cold, Some like it in the pot - nine days old. I actually have a zillion little clips for sigs, but I'm too lazy to change 'em each post.

Cheers, P