Exterior Window Stops - Prime First, Then Caulk?

As part of a window replacement project, I'm going to be removing my aluminum storms. I expect that this will expose unpainted window stops.

Should I prime the exterior stops before installing the windows and caulking or is OK to wait until the caulk dries and then prime/paint? I'm wondering if the bare wood will draw too much moisture out of the caulk for it to cure properly.

Thanks!

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Prime first. It's a holdover from the days of glazing compound, but it's still good practice. The primer soaks into the wood a bit and solidifies the fibers. Many painters swear by oil paint in that application. Again, probably a holdover from oil-based glazing compounds and first generation latex paints.

RicodJour