Exterior window HEADER TRIM - Installation?

I recently finished the siding on another side of my house and we plan to not just add shutters,but we also want to trim the top with these sharp lookin viny headers that are available. Can they installed on top of the vinyl now that l already done the siding. Is there anywhere i could possibly find an instruction that i could visualize,maybe something downloadable?

Reply to
holtff1074

It will have to be flashed. But vinyl siding is easy to remove and replace; instead of coming up with some grand plan to avoid removing the vinyl, which is the RIGHT way to do it, I would remove it and put your header up, flash over the top of the header, then reinstall the siding. You can put it back right in the same places except trimmed short and around your new header. Bends and snaps into place easily (except in cold weather). Doing it this way will also probably be faster as well as better.

Reply to
eDeck.net

Thanks eDeck, i'll make a note of what you said. I suppose i need to study how to properly remove the siding.

Reply to
holtff1074

There's a little inexpensive tool for that; its a 5 inch long bent prybar to reach under the lip of the interlocking siding and pull them apart; but i've always just done it by hand. Find an end and push down and out, once you've got a lip disengaged you can continue down the seam with your hand and slide it along to detach the whole length.

Before reshaping and reappying the siding around your trim, install the necessary J trim and/or undersill flashing; see your other openings (windows, doors) for a sample of what those pieces look like.

Reply to
eDeck.net