Exterior trim question

For houses that are not vinyl sided, what is typically used for exterior trim (rake, corner boards, etc) Are builders still using wood for trim or are they going with Azek (or something similar)? If a house is sided with Hardie board, does the type of material used for the trim matter? What species of wood is typically used?

Thank you for your time.

Reply to
JohnnyC

I work on houses for Trinity Habitat for Humanity. Our standard siding is Hardie lap, and we make corner trim out of 5/4 rough cedar. It's primed and painted on all sides. Put the trim on first, then butt the siding up to the trim; you'll use _way_ less caulk.

Hardie also has a line called HardieTrim that looks the same as the rough cedar when painted. We use the cedar because it's slightly cheaper. I use the HardieTrim when I do work for clients, because I know I won't ever have to replace it.

Reply to
SteveB

A plastic or plastic-composite may be your best low-maintenance choice. I have been replacing my rotting (poplar) brick moldings with composite--no rot, no insect damage, no painting.

Reply to
Phisherman

1" band sawn pine up our way. Primed on 4 sides, rough on the facing
Reply to
jim

Poplar for brick mold? That's pretty unusual, isn't it? At least it is around here in the Northeast. Poplar is a nice stable wood for interior work and great for furniture frames and interior painted trim, but it's not a good exterior wood. Did your poplar brick mold come with the door? How old are they?

RicodJour

Before I go into cardiac arrest from seeing the price...What is the price difference between a 18' piece of 1x6 azek and '16' primed pine. I'll take a wild guess and say 2-3 times more.

Reply to
JohnnyC

Cedar

Reply to
<h>

RicodJour wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@e53g2000hsa.googlegroups.com:

I took some brick mold off a 30+ year old place a couple of days ago. zillion (maybe a few less than that) coats of paint but when I cut it up I smelled what I thought to be cedar (not a wood wiz). Looked reddish. Did they make brick mold out of cedar decades ago?

Reply to
Red Green

Don&#39;t know about brick, but all the clapboards and decorative molding on my nearly 200 year old house is cedar.

Reply to
<h>