Exterior stucco/foundation question

My house is built in the 1950s. It has a craw space. The exterior stucco goes all the way down to the dirt, covering the foundation.

On newer constructions, part of the foundation is exposed all around on the outside, presumably to guard against termites,etc. Termites are a problem in my area (San Jose, CA). My house was fumigated and treated for sub-terrain termite about 2 years ago. (they dug a shallow tunnel next to the foundation and sprayed stuff in it, and drilled in concrete walkway area next to foundation every X inches and sprayed stuff..)

I am thinking about doing some work on the stucco so part of the foundation is exposed. Like cutting away the bottom X inches of the stucco. My main concern is termite.

Is this worthwhile? If so, what kind of contractor do I hire? Stucco contractors? General contractors? The stucco has metal mesh-wires, I assuming doing the work means cutting the wire, etc. Is that generally a good thing?

Thanks.

Raymond

Reply to
nospam.house

Yep, thats bad

Thats the Code now, and for the reason you state.

Thats a good idea but generally the stucco usually only overlaps the concrete foundation by an inch or so, just covering the bottom (lumber) "plate". The rest of the stucco is generally applied over the plate and wood sheathing attached to timber studs or 'foam board' over studs. You cant cut back the stucco there or the inner construction of the wall will be exposed.

This doesn't apply IF your home is CBS.

Is there any way to drop the ground level a few inches, maybe by grading away, without creating a slope toward the house ?

Reply to
Rudy