Exterior Romex Indoors ???

I want to use some exterior 14-2 romex in my kitchen as I have some exposed undercabinet lighting and the gray wire is more compatable with the decor! I assume that exterior rated romex is better than regular nmb so it should be fine indoors. Am I right?

Reply to
Michael Roback

It's overkill, and will cost a few more cents per foot. However, exterior romex can be used almost anywhere, whereas the indoor type can only be used indoors. Go ahead and use it.

Reply to
me

Yes you can use exterior romex. The other option is to paint the interior Romex.

Reply to
Phisherman

I do not believe that exterior Romex is rated for anything other than sunlight resistant and able to be covered directly with soil.

It's your kitchen, personally I hide the wiring. I added some outlets in my last kitchen. Had a block wall underneath. I slotted the drywall and installed the wiring and then added sheets of 1/4 inch drywall to get a fresh surface.

Reply to
SQLit

Hard to see your particular situation from here, but have you considered using low voltage under-cabinet lighting instead? Or, is this not an option? Assuming you would prefer to conceal your wiring, low voltage wiring might very well give you some more options as far as routing, etc. that you don't have using Romex.

Reply to
Banister Stairwell

There's always that channel mold (is that the right name). That metal or plastic channel which can be painted.

Reply to
me

If you're anywhere covered by the NEC, you can't leave romex exposed in an occupied space anyway, can you? (Not within something like 9' of the floor, anyway..)

--Goedjn

Reply to
default

From NEC 340: UF cable, uses permitted: (4) Installed as nonmetallic-sheathed cable. Where so installed, the installation and conductor requirements shall comply with the provisions of Article 334 and shall be of the multiconductor type.

UF cable, uses not permitted: (10) Where subject to physical damage

This last one is the tough one. The local inspector is the judge on what is "subject to physical damage". A certain distance above the ground is OK, guarding it with wood guard boards is OK, putting it in conduit is OK, etc. Under a cabinet may be considered exposed to damage. A section coming out of the wall to a water heater is usually OK -- the heater and pipes protects the cable. Oh, metal flex conduit is also not allowed to be exposed to physical damage, so that doesn't help either.

Need to talk to your local inspector on this one.

Reply to
SueMarkP

The grey stuff is both UV light resistant. and also the ground is likely in its own insulation. Works fine indoors. Slightly more expensive.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

...and a bit harder to strip. The .79 Romex stripper won't quite do it.

But notice how all of the local naysayers and code-a-holics just keep beating on the guy to not use it. Original Poster is trying to do this in a way that will work for him, yet every asswipe here still crawls out of the woodwork and trys to change his mind.

Reply to
I-zheet M'drurz

It (UF cable) works just fine indoors, but it is *way* harder to strip than NM-B. Have fun...

Best regards, Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

Have you ever tried to damage that stuff?

It'll be protected by the cabinet. (assuming it's on the underside.) If anything, tell the inspector you used UF instead of NM-B because it's tougher. (who invited the inspector to this party anyway?)

-Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

Do you ever actually contribute anything, or just come along and stink up the place? (great moniker you've got, "I shit m'drawers")

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

Yep, why not use the strip type wiring, i.e., that stuff that plugs into an outlet then runs along in what looks like a cable race (can't recall the name). Not ugly but not really attractive either.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K