Exterior Paint/ Behr Premium Plus "Ultra" ?

Where would you have read that?
If it were so, seems like it would be a _very_ widespread problem with the amount of surface area that has been painted in that fashion over the last 20+ years now...

Lots of people do complain of peeling paint even though they claim prep was right. Who knows what caused it. It could very well be a mismatched primer.
Art wrote:

That's hardly an argument for a thermal expansion difference being a root cause... :(
Art wrote: ...

"Mismatched" primer could mean a lot of things, but differing expansion rates is hardly one of them, I think. I did quite a bit of googling at several major paint manufacturers' sites on their specifications and didn't find the subject even mentioned in any of their application guides or technical literature.
As for latex over oil, from Sherwin-Williams' site and their A-100 paints -- their best exterior line...
http://www.sherlink.com/sher-link/ImgServ?id tapages/a100_ext_flat_102-02.pdf
SPECIFICATIONS ... Wood, Composition Board 1 ct. A-100 Oil Exterior Stain Blocking Primer 2 cts. A-100 Exterior Latex Flat ...
SURFACE PREPARATION ... Wood, Plywood, Composition Board Sand any exposed wood to a fresh surface. Patch all holes and imperfections with a wood filler or putty and sand smooth. All patched areas must be primed. ...
Hardly seems they would recommend/specify an oil-based primer to go under the best exterior latex paint they sell if the two were of such a differing expansion rate as to make the two surfaces move with respect to each other and fail, does it...
I conclude what you've heard/read is a fallacy or some kernel of truth taken out of whatever context it may have initially referred to and misapplied as a general tenet...