Exterior Outlets

I have a bunch of exterior outlets scattered around my home. They are just a duplex 120 volt outlet in a plastic box covered by the typical aluminum plate with a single spring loaded cover that is flush with the exterior siding. The whole thing is far from water resistant...it just looks like it is.

The breakers that supply many of these outlets trip frequently, usually after a heavy rain, or on a day when the seas are heavy. (Two sides of my house get a lot of salt water spray on a heavy day.)

Now, I have all of the supplying breakers turned off but in the spring I'd like to fix the problem. What would you folks suggest for replacement assemblies? I'm willing to replace anything that I can without removing the siding.

Thanks, Boden

Reply to
Boden

I can't recommend a specific cover, but I suggest you try a commercial supply house. Some of the industrial electrical stuff will be much more effective.

I further suggest that you make sure that the outlet box is weathersealed, etc. A tight cover won't do much good if the water can get past the plate. If the breakers are tripping after a rain, this might be a source of the problem.

Lastly, and I suppose this is unnecessary: Are these outlets GFCI protected?

Reply to
websurf1

Is this a houseboat? Seriously, check out a marine supply house for outlets in that environment. If you're truly getting salt water spray, none of the usual electrical outlets will cut it for you.

Reply to
Leroy

If they are all on the same breaker (GFCI?) you could just have one box collecting water. The reality is this is still a wet location and none of this stuff will really stay dry if you have blowing rain. I have figured out you should keep all splices toward the top of the box and point the wirenuts up so they can't collect water. Make sure water can drain out the bottom.

Reply to
gfretwell

Yes. Each is a GFCI outlet.

Reply to
Boden

Those covers are intended to be rain tight only when closed, however if they're not sealed tight to the siding, water will drain down into them. I would try a bead of silicone on the top edge of the cover and slightly down the sides, leaving the bottom unsealed

Reply to
RBM

-snip-

I like function over form, so the 'while in use' covers work for me. Some folks think they're ugly, but I like being able to leave things plugged in during a downpour and not worry about the GFCI tripping.

I got a box of a dozen last spring for about $4 each on ebay. The covers run about $8-10 at the local borg.

Your local electric supply might have some choices- they come in several configurations.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

I have a brick veneer house. I plan on installing flashing above each outlet box next time for a serious fix.

Reply to
Art