Exterior Door Construction - O.T. Sorta...

Whilst driving around hither and yon, when I see scrap lumber being thrown out, I hit the brakes and acquire it. Most recent find was an exterior door with deadbolt and quality hinges. Based on the doors appearance and hardware, I would hazard a guess that it is post WWII fabrication, but who knows?

Anyway. Turned out I had an immediate use for the door. It had a small window just the right size for a cat door, so I cut the door down to fit into an open window. Works great.

BUT - point of the question is this. Door is standard size roughly

6~7 feet tall and 36 wide. IT WAS ONE HEAVY SUNNUVA GUN! Upon cutting out the desired portion, I discovered it was made of approximately 36 1" wide blocks of wood - Maple? laminated together, running the height of the door. The exterior was of some appearance quality wood, say 1/8th inch thick ? - like a veneer.

So how long were/are doors made like this? I swear, I haven't moved one this heavy before. It was all I could do to get it on the truck. It set me to thinking that, if I find another one, without a window in it, I will have myself one serious bench top for my new woodworking bench.

Thanks!

Reply to
NFrames

Actually you can still get doors made like that. They are hard to come by but can be ordered.

Reply to
PAUL100

You havnt seen many quality doors. Some take 3 people to move. I have a

4" solid birch, a 2 man job. If you have the money it will be made
Reply to
mark Ransley