Exterior caulking on horizontal battens

My home is a tudor style, two story. The siding is Hardboard (simulated stucco) with cedar 1x6 battens over the joints.
When I caulk the battens, obviously, the ones to weather need to be caulked and sealed. But what about the bottom seam of horizontal battens. Is it better to leave them uncaulked, so any moisture gets in, it can drain? or seal everything up tight?
Thanks for any input
Paul P
<< what about the bottom seam of horizontal battens. Is it better to leave them uncaulked, so any moisture gets in, it can drain? or seal everything up tight? >>
What does the installation manual say? Probabaly leaves it unsealed is my guess.