Exterior blower range hood

I am researching which hood to install in process of my total kitchen remodeling. I want to build custom wooden hood cover and install exterior blower to reduce noise. Did anyone install exterior blower for the range hood? Is it really quieter then interior blower? I did some research for NuTone products and a little bit confused what components I need. I believe I need exterior blower and power module which is I understand filters, halogen bulbs and switches. Do I need anything else? I will build ducts myself. Are there any other brands that have exterior blower range hood systems?

Reply to
Alexander Galkin

I installed something similar in a kitchen remodel once. I was not happy with the price/air volume. Everyone said that 750 cfm would be enough. I believe more like a 1100 for high. I used 10 inch metal pipe for the exhaust. It mated well to the blower unit.

If I ever did this again I would be tempted to use a commercial mushroom type. Ok that would look pretty bad on the front of the roof.

Biggest problem I see is that when the metal pipe is mated to the motor housing you need the motor to be isolated WELL. other wise the noise transmits down the pipe to the hood.

Reply to
SQLit

Broan should have them they are much quieter,

Reply to
m Ransley

I've done it on two homes. Got tired of wimpy range hoods. :-) No filters here, the pipe terminates in the upper cabinet base, with a few inches of space for a light, covered by a plastic egg-crate grill. Our current blower is a Broan 332 (900 cfm), roof mounted, 10" duct perhaps 7 feet long. A 1/4" square piece of paper (held about halfway between the cooktop and the underside of the cabinets) levitates nicely. I wouldn't call it quiet though, there's a serious whoosh. And I had to add a hinged damper in the base of the duct, because whatever is on the blower unit allowed wind noise down the duct. Something you might consider - if your habit is to have the blower on for extended periods, a big blower is going to pump out a lot of your indoor air.

Wayne

Reply to
wmbjk

Is external blower really quieter then internal one? I am also worried about wind blowing through the duct resonating it and also bring cold or warm air inside.

Reply to
Sasha

Look at paint booths with belt driven fans. Tons of CFM.

Reply to
Kim

They are quieter the farther away the remote fan is. A lot of the noise a fan makes is the sound of the air moving through an orifice, so it is definitely not silent, but it is quieter. It is like central vacuum systems, quieter but not silent.

Reply to
BP