exterior acrylic painting below 50 F?

Advice and guidance sought on exterior painting at temps below 50 F (10 C).

I am having new pre-primed acrylic double-hung wood on wood windows installed in Nov. As the windows are custom, heavy, and the grass can break easily the installers insist the exterior painting occur after installation.

I see some acrylic paints advertised on the Internet, which can be applied on dry days with temperatures above 35 F. I am interested in any experience or advice on use of these or other paints for this application.

Reply to
Alb3rtG

I would never use Pre Primed, you have no idea on what crap primer was used, on paint the issue is freezing, for the public a 20 degree temp drop at night is normal. Latez - water base cant freeze for a few weeks or at least a chalking wil occur next year.

Reply to
ransley

I would use a factory primed window. First, a reputable manufacturer will use reputable products--Marvin Windows was caught up in a huge lawsuit some years ago because of finish issues, so they want to avoid that sort of thing. Plus, the fact that it is factory applied is a plus. Note that primer does not last forever. If the OP has to wait till spring, he'll want to reprime.

I haven't used the low temp latex yet, but they sound like a good thing. Never heard that you can't let latex freeze for a few weeks. That isn't printed on any paint instructions that I have seen. Where did you hear that? Exterior painting would end in August in my town if that were the case. You have to use some judgement. The manufacturers put a minimum temperature on the paint can because they have to pick a number, but it's not gospel. It's going to depend a lot on humidity and wind too. A forty five degree day with a nice breeze and low humidity is going to be better than a very wet day with higher temps. You just want to get it good and dry before the temperature goes below freezing.

You might also consider oil paints which generally can be applied at lower temps. Trouble with that is that you are then committed to oil for the future repainting, but that may not matter to you.

A better place to get advice than a newsgroup is a good paint store (NOT Home depot, Lowes, etc!). Look up your nearest Benjamin Moore dealer in the yellow pages.

Reply to
marson

Hi, Pre primed? I am old fadshioned, no way. And I won't paint when it is below 15 deg. or above 30 deg. C. Are they refering to day time or night time temp.? It's near freezing!

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Nearly every Sherwin Williams exterior product is good down to 35 degrees. I have used and am happy with their exterior products.

I agree with the other comments about pre-primed. The exterior primer that I buy says that you have to topcoat within 30 days or re-prime. Who knows how long ago they got primed.

JK

Reply to
Big_Jake

Hi, Thanks! I've already ordered the windows pre-primed, and there is no turning back. Temps here vary from around 40+F night to 50+F day, and predicting a full day of sun is rare and tricky to predict in Nov. The info refers to temps both night and day. On dry times, I've heard 3 days are recommended, though others have heard tell of good results with only 8 hours dry times, as long as it does not freeze during those 8 hrs.

Reply to
Alb3rtG

OK. You ordered the windows at the wrong time of year, assuming you knew they needed to be painted.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

As long as it doesn't freeze the night after you paint, you'll be fine.

Reply to
Bonnett Decorating

What about 2 degrees above freezing? Would that be OK?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom