extension cords

Hi, To isolate ground wire. I often do that when I am using my O'scope for certain measurement.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Got into a box of extension cords today. Found an old outside 110 2 wire one. Is there any reason to keep this???

What can you do with 110v 2 wire extension cords?

Reply to
rb

Same thing that has been done with them for decades, extend cords. Especially useful for lights and double insulated tools. You can even use it inside the house.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

LOL

Reply to
LouB

That right thar is funny, I don't care who you are.

Reply to
Joe

Use them for double-insulated electric tools and Christmas lights. The problem with some tools and lights, though is that they may have the one-blade-larger plugs that won't fit an older two-wire extension cord. I've noticed that some Christmas light strings have the wider blade, some don't.

Northe

Reply to
Northe

If they are following the listing standard any string with a screw in socket will be polarized, two pin bulb strings don't have to be.

All that said, I suspect a lot of the U/L tags on offshore strings are bogus.

Reply to
gfretwell

Troubleshooting electrical problems in vehicles. Clip it to the battery and you will have a known +12 or a known ground for your test light.

Reply to
E Z Peaces

The new plugs will fit the older cords if you grind down the polarizing plug.

A Dremel tool works swell for this.

Reply to
HeyBub

On 9/11/2009 7:29 PM HeyBub spake thus:

So does an ordinary hand file. Voop voop--done.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Not that simple. You need a permit first, the work must be done by a licensed professional and you have to file a plan to dispose of the copper filings in a safe manner. Finished cord must be inspected by the same outfit that applies the mattress tags.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Diagonal wire cutters are quicker.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Sell them to your nearest mobster. They have many uses for them.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Well, you can't put round peg into a square hole. So, I hope you can find a pair of round diags.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon