extension cord for 230 volt air conditioner??

Page 2 of 2

I know this might goof up the warranty on the AC unit, but you might be able to change out the entire cord. If I understand correctly, it's only a few added feet. Plus you have the option of snaking the wire through the hole in the bookcase and then, putting on the plug.
Joseph Meehan wrote:

Art Todesco wrote:

new plug, but there's a little surge protector thing. But that's about as much effort as cutting the hole, so it looks like I'll be getting a new hole saw.

For a 240V. Unit, make sure you use a plug and receptacle set that is rated for 240V. The NEMA plugs rated for 120V might appear to work just fine, but the spacing between conductor prongs and terminals is not suitable for a 240V. circuit and presents a fire hazard.
Also, on a related note.
I used to know a college professor that cheaped out when he wired his home 240V. window air conditioner with 120V plugs on a 240V. circuit. His wife couldn't figure out why the vacuum cleaner exploded one day when she borrowed the outlet.
I agree with the posters that say relocate the receptacle, ditch the extension cords and do it right. You are not doing this for a $400 appliance - You are making an investment in the safety of your home and family.
Beachcomber
Beachcomber wrote:

Telling one on myself...
Some 53 years ago my dorm roomate schlepped in a 230 volt air conditioner and we managed to get it cooling our room because the adjacent dorm room had its 115 volt recepticals wired to the opposite side of the building's 230 volt line. A single conductor out our window and into the next room took care of getting us a "total" of 230 volts. <G>
Don't try that at home guys, only crazy EE college students could pull it off.
Thanks for the mammaries...
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)
Jeff Wisnia wrote:

Nice one. I would have at least run a full cord from each to a junction box.
As for the whole extension cord thing, I'm constantly amazed at the ignorance and paranoia about extension cords. Properly sized, constructed and applied they are 100% as safe as the wiring in the walls of your home. This ain't magic guys.
Pete C.