[SOLVED] Extending Shelf Life of Minwax Wood Putty

Is there a way/method for extending the shelf life of Minwax Wood Putty after the jar has been opened? I know that the small jars only cost less than $3/per but it sure seems a waste to have to buy a new jar of each color 4 months after each one has been opened and a little bit used.

Thanks in advance....

Reply to
Stan

Open the lid .. blow in a little propane from a torch .. close the lid. Propane, being heavier than air will sink to the bottom, effectively keeping the oxygen away from the putty, which needs oxygen to cure/dry.

Reply to
Anonymous

"" wrote

Of you could simply store the cans upside down.

Reply to
Don Phillipson

IIRC, acetone is the solvent--just add a little extra. (But, double check first to make sure I'm remembering correctly.)

--

Reply to
dpb

How would storing the can upside down stop the air already in the can from starting the curing process ??

Reply to
Anonymous

I don't think it's as much the little bit of air "stored" above the contents which causes the hardening as it is the pressure differentials between the inside and outside of the container caused by temperature and atmospheric pressure changes. Those cause solvent vapor out and air leakage in through the minute gaps around the lid, which almost never seals perfectly once its been opened.

Having the contents resting against the seal joint is better, because it's a lot harder to force liquid through a small leak than solvent vapors or air, plus the contents will dry in the leak and seal it.

I started storing all my partially used cans of paint upside down about

20 years ago and know they "keep" much better that way.

The last can of "Plastic Wood" I bought had it's can's "label printing" upside down with instructions to store it lid end down for the reasons mentioned above.

Works for me,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

They don't give ingredients on the jar (probably because we ain't going to eat the stuff). It does say that it contains an ingredient that causes cancer in California?????? Doesn't cause cancer in any other state?

Anyway, someone in another forum told me to use oil based putty from The Color Putty Company

which they said they had jars three years old that was still pliable.

I will put a little acetone in the Minwax jars and see if I can revive them.

Regards, Stan

Reply to
Stan

try a couple drops of vegetable oil

Reply to
beecrofter

beecrofter wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@q75g2000hsh.googlegroups.com:

FIRST,download or obtain a Material Safety Data Sheet(MSDS) for that product,and it will list the solvent.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Yeah, I guess I should have given directions for how to "check first" but I think some things ought to not be too hard to figure out... :) (Or yet again, should that be a ":(" ?)

Reply to
dpb

That is what I did "FIRST". The MSDS only listed two ingredients which were "Takc" & "Calcium Carbonate". Common sense dictates that it is made up of a lot more than these two ingredients but they only chose to list these two.

Thus, the reason for coming here and asking............ Secondly.....

Reply to
Stan

replying to Stan, Eddie wrote: Dig the putty out of the container, add a few drops of vegetable oil and and knead. See:

Eddie

replying to Stan, Eddie wrote: Dig the putty out of the container, add a few drops of vegetable oil and and knead. See:

Eddie

And yet ANOTHER retard from HomeMoanersHub shows up 14 years later to offer advice without bothering to check the date of the original post. Are ALL the people who use that silly-ass site this stupid?? Apparently.

Reply to
ItsJoanNotJoann

ItsJoanNotJoann posted for all of us...

YES!

Reply to
Tekkie®

replying to Stan, john wrote: That is cuz they feed rats 5,000 times their body weight in all their tests. So everything tested causes cancer in CA. They just don't test or publish the results of testing salmon and healthy stuff. Just exaggerating of course, re the amount, but you get the idea.

Reply to
john

Old post but I was curious and read the safety data sheet as I write a lot of them. Considering the product as compounded ingredients are safer and even though I err on the side of caution I would have toned down the toxicity warnings.

There is stuff that causes cancer in California that is not considered cancerous any where else plus there are de minimus thresholds not exceeded by OSHA standards but are exceeded in California which are ridiculously low. I put the warning on all of the SDS's I write if the composition has used any amount of chemical on the list even if it might have evaporated, e.g. 1 percent in a solvent used to coat a film then evaporated. This satisfies California and keeps away the bounty hunters looking for something to turn in and collect part of their draconian fines.

Reply to
Frank

It's 3 years after your post and yet I found this thread and site on a search and found the answer here (the YT vids) to be very helpful.

Internet info often has a very long shelf life, possibly longer than that tub of wood putty.

Reply to
chris