Extending Shelf Life of Minwax Wood Putty

Is there a way/method for extending the shelf life of Minwax Wood Putty after the jar has been opened? I know that the small jars only cost less than $3/per but it sure seems a waste to have to buy a new jar of each color 4 months after each one has been opened and a little bit used.
Thanks in advance....
Stan wrote:

Open the lid .. blow in a little propane from a torch .. close the lid. Propane, being heavier than air will sink to the bottom, effectively keeping the oxygen away from the putty, which needs oxygen to cure/dry.

Of you could simply store the cans upside down.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
Don Phillipson wrote:

from starting the curing process ??
<<<__ Bob __>>> wrote:

I don't think it's as much the little bit of air "stored" above the contents which causes the hardening as it is the pressure differentials between the inside and outside of the container caused by temperature and atmospheric pressure changes. Those cause solvent vapor out and air leakage in through the minute gaps around the lid, which almost never seals perfectly once its been opened.
Having the contents resting against the seal joint is better, because it's a lot harder to force liquid through a small leak than solvent vapors or air, plus the contents will dry in the leak and seal it.
I started storing all my partially used cans of paint upside down about 20 years ago and know they "keep" much better that way.
The last can of "Plastic Wood" I bought had it's can's "label printing" upside down with instructions to store it lid end down for the reasons mentioned above.
Works for me,
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)
Stan wrote:

IIRC, acetone is the solvent--just add a little extra. (But, double check first to make sure I'm remembering correctly.)

They don't give ingredients on the jar (probably because we ain't going to eat the stuff). It does say that it contains an ingredient that causes cancer in California?????? Doesn't cause cancer in any other state?
Anyway, someone in another forum told me to use oil based putty from The Color Putty Company http://www.colorputty.com/index.html which they said they had jars three years old that was still pliable.
I will put a little acetone in the Minwax jars and see if I can revive them.
Regards, Stan

try a couple drops of vegetable oil

FIRST,download or obtain a Material Safety Data Sheet(MSDS) for that product,and it will list the solvent.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Jim Yanik wrote:

Yeah, I guess I should have given directions for how to "check first" but I think some things ought to not be too hard to figure out... :) (Or yet again, should that be a ":(" ?)

That is what I did "FIRST". The MSDS only listed two ingredients which were "Takc" & "Calcium Carbonate". Common sense dictates that it is made up of a lot more than these two ingredients but they only chose to list these two.
Thus, the reason for coming here and asking............ Secondly.....