extending metal poles for fencing

Anyone know if there is a way to extend the standrad metal poles that support fencing via some type of collar or splice kit? I need to extend existing in ground, in concrete poles due to change of elevation in my yard. Cannot pull and rebury longer - need to work with what is there - 8' poles, with 6' showing.
Thanks
I don't know if it applies in your case, but an 8 foot (above grade) poll should have a deeper foundation than a 6 foot poll. The existing poll may not have the necessary below grade strength for your application.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit
Joseph,
I think that the OP meant that they are 8' poles with 2' buried and 6' above grade. It's not clear why he can't pull these poles and use longer ones. I agree that extending the above grade height of the poles without burying them deeper may be a problem. It might help to know how much he wants to extend the poles above grade. Assuming he knows what he is doing, I bet several feet of pole with an outer diameter slightly less then the inner diameter of the existing pole could be epoxied in to connect the pole with it's extension. Welding might be a better solution than epoxy.
Dave M.
David Martel wrote:

Using the smaller diameter as a connection pin would also be possible. One could drill and pin them for permanent connection if welder isn't available.
Depending on what they're supporting and how much extension is needed, wind loads could become an issue. Just noticed the other day the right foul line fence at one of the local little league fields was laying flat. Standard chain link w/ the green plastic privacy barrier on it -- that happens here about once every couple of years. Yesterday the city had set new posts --
<snip>

Welding must be followed by a zinc-rich paint to avoid rusting. Epoxy wouls eliminate that step. HTH
Joe

Welding galvanized steel creates toxic fumes. Don't want to try if you're a beginner.

so it sounds like the only real way to do this is to pull and replace with longer poles..if 7-8 feet above grade how much should be buried?
on 8/31/2007 4:10 PM cc said the following:

Only if they don't make a screw-on type pole coupler, like with metal electrical conduit.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

No, the adding on of additional pipe length is a potentially viable solution BUT
whether it will work, all depends on.............
soil conditions, size of current concrete "footings", current pipe dimensions (id, od OR od & wall thickness), length of desired add-on, current / future fencing material, number of poles in fence line.
cheers Bob
without this information it is diffciuld to make an informed suggestion

Inspectors here must measure your hole depths before you set the posts and it should be minimum 42 inches. Even at this depth I have had frost heave bad enough to keep the gates from working, I should have went 48 inches. I had to raise the latches on all the gates about 2 inches this spring. Your codes may differ.
cc wrote:

shop and get the tech to swage "expand" one end of the pipe so it can slip over the pipe that is in the ground. The new section can be attached with large TEK screws. The machines used by the muffler shop looks like these:
http://vansantent.com/tube_bending_machines/Huth_benchtop_expander.htm
http://www.e-pipebenders.com/bend-pak-pipe-benders.php
You can get a manual exhaust pipe expanding tool at many auto parts supply stores. Looks like:
http://tinyurl.com/2ru3hv
Personally I would have a muffler shop do the pipes if I had more than a few.
[8~{} Uncle Monster
Uncle Monster wrote:

Not a bad thought, but... :)
I doubt the muffler shop machine can do the thick (compared to muffler stock) wall pipe...
dpb wrote:

The machines are quite powerful, you can always ask the shop owner to try.
[8~{} Uncle Monster
Uncle Monster wrote:

I'm thinking more of the die sets...

I did a search for fence parts and found this: http://www.hooverfence.com/pipe-fittings/kee-klamp/prices/14.htm

With a six-foot overlap, it is unlikely to go anywhere, but drilling a hole and putting a pin through it should take care of tornadoes and kids getting obnoxious.
aem sends....

Is this a "Chain link" fence.. If so, These might work, YMMV
http://www.hooverfence.com/catalog/cpage61.htm