"Express" (hah!) Scan-it-yourself checkouts

Page 4 of 4

I find the DIY check outs to be much faster, and the help there more helpful.
Steve

== The only reason for these DIY machines is because WalMart started the practice to save paying for cashiers. The rest of the stores like a bunch of friggin rats after the infamous Piedpiper, followed suit. Our local Co-op put in four DIY checkout thingies. Most of the time they sit there unused but a "supervisor" hovers around doing nothing most of the time but available in case customers are "having trouble"...what a bunch of CRAP. ==

=The only reason for these DIY machines is because WalMart started the practice to save paying for cashiers. The rest of the stores like a bunch of friggin rats after the infamous Piedpiper, followed suit. Our local Co-op put in four DIY checkout thingies. Most of the time they sit there unused but a "supervisor" hovers around doing nothing most of the time but available in case customers are "having trouble"...what a bunch of CRAP. = I find that those supervisors are infinitely more capable of handling problems and making decisions on the fly than those at the regular check out lines. I walked away from $300 worth of goods one day because the clerk couldn't get a supervisor to come, the line was building, and they couldn't figure that if a bag of ten was $3, that if I only had five, it would be $1.50.
Roy, if you don't like it, just don't go there. I bet you're running out of places to shop, or even places that haven't 86'd you.
Steve
Steve B wrote:

Well, at the Mal-Warts around here the self checkouts certainly haven't eliminated cashier positions. All the Mal-Warts around here have like 40 regular staffed registers, most of which are open, another 8 express staffed registers, most of which are open, and another 8 self checkout registers in two groups of 4 each with one staff person. I see it as being about options.
h wrote:

We have them at the Wal*Mart's here in Eugene. Personally, I vastly prefer them; they are faster and less hassle than having to deal with a cashier, and I can be more efficient with the bagging.
Jon
Jon Danniken wrote:

The self checkout setup they have at Mal-Wart seems to be one of the better ones that responds faster and is less likely to get confused than those at a lot of other places. Unfortunately they're still at Mal-Wart so I avoid them and the rest of Mal-Wart as much as possible.
Pete C. wrote:

The quickest ones I have found are the ones at the local Krogers (dba Fred Meyer). Walmarts are also pretty responsive.
The absolute worst are the ones at Albertson's. They take a minimum of two seconds to respond to a key press, and at times up to 10 seconds to sit there and process a simple binary command.
Jon
The Daring Dufas wrote:

My view is that competitive sports are the male equivalent of the daytime soap opera. 1. There are usually villains, heros, sub-plots, winners, losers. 2. Often there are unexpected events and surprising actions. 3. There's never a final resolution - there's always next year!
That doesn't mean sports are trivial - they bring out the warrior instinct.
I just wish the players had spears...

== Its the ONLY store in town and I am a part owner (membership). I would have to drive another 40 miles to another town for the same type of facility. ==
On Nov 29, 11:04am, "Steve B" >

Me too. I always use them when available.
I admit if everybody else did the same, there'd be a line at them and they'd be as slow as a regular checkout.
But so far few people use them and you can walk right up and check out.

And my local Walmart ripped theirs out because too many rip off artists not scanning everything. All attended slow check outs now.
Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

My favorite was: "put scanned item in your bag." I put it in the bag, but it was too light to register. So, I put more weight on the scale and it accepted the item. So, I released the pressure "item removed from bag, please put it back" And it wouldn't budge no matter what I did. I think the attendant was afraid to help me because of all the smoke coming out of my ears.
More often than not, there are zero open human checkouts. Get used to it.

Just throw something else, about the same weight, in the bag from your cart without scanning it. "Pot's right?" keep going.
"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote:

The self checkouts are very variable. You quickly learn which stores have ones that work properly and which don't and you choose whether to use them based on that.

The only way I would use the self-checkout is if I got a discount on my items. They want me to do the job normally done by a paid store person, give me a percentage of your savings.
We've been at the grocery store in the evening with a full cart of stuff and they had no cashiers working any of the registers. We asked a maneger if they could get a cashier in there for us. If they said no, we would have left the whole cart there and went somewhere else.
I'm all for giving people the "option", but too many times it seems as if the self-checkout is your only option.
Tony!
Tony wrote:

I've never seen a store with just self checkout open, indeed I've seen stores that close the self checkout and have just one normal register open during off hours.
As for savings, at stores that have properly working self checkouts that are responsive and not prone to getting confused, I prefer then over normal staffed registers since I am able to checkout in half the time, with my purchases properly packed and without annoying chit-chat.

I'll use the self-serve scanners when they give me a discount off the total for doing their work for them.
--
aem sends...

aemeijers wrote:

They don't bother me, but 9 times out of 10 at wallyword something goes wrong and the podium jockey has to come punch in a code and winds up doing the checkout for me. A few times I made it through without bells, alarms and lights flashing but those were the exception. Whatever, it's nothing enough to not let me enjoy the rest of the day.