"Express" (hah!) Scan-it-yourself checkouts

Page 1 of 4
I would hate those checkouts on principle (on the grounds that they are designed to put checkers out of work) even if they weren't so often moronic: "Please put the item in the bag" it told me time and time again -- when the item I had just scanned was a 10-ft piece of lumber!
Yesterday at my local HD I was headed toward the human-operated checkout terminal when the checker accosted me just as I reached one of the DIY scanners. I told her that I was ready to check out but that I hated "those things." She said, "Never mind: I'll do it for you." "Isn't the terminal working?" I asked. "Yes," she replied, "but they don't want us to use them." "But I hate the DIY scanners, and I know that a lot of other people do too." "Yes, I know" she replied, "that is why we'll scan the items for you."
Perce
On 11/28/2010 5:54 PM Percival P. Cassidy spake thus:

Just goes to show that, as with a lot of entities, if they let the people who actually did the *work* at Home Despot *run* the place, things would probably be a whole lot better. (Speaking as a prospective employee ...)

???
On 11/29/2010 7:56 AM Red Green spake thus:

Meaning I'd like to get a job there.
Today I met a guy in my Home Despot with a new job: he goes around and picks up all the stuff that doesn't belong where it is and puts it where it's supposed to go. Keeps him busy all day.
With all the mixed-up shit there, it's an essential function. So far as I can tell, *every* single bin of fasteners (nuts, bolts, etc.) is a "party mix" of different sizes and sometimes even different parts. You've got to check each and every piece to make sure it's what you want.
I had to buy some joist hangers: the entire Simpson display area looks like a bunch of monkeys came through and just threw everything every which way. Took me 10 minutes to find my 5 lousy 2x6 hangers.

Was just curious. A J-O-B is a J-O-B until something better comes up as long as you can tolerate it. Saw a guy in a Wal-Mart once with a 10 yr service nametag. Almost broke teeth gritting them.

Along with returns, I suspect that's how they learn where stuff is.

Learned that the hard way as well.

Glad I am in a small town. HD here is great. Employees are helpful, smart and go to all extremes to get you what to want and very polite. Not so in the big towns I have been to. ww
On 11/28/2010 6:25 PM WW spake thus:

Maybe not, but my HD (Emeryville, CA, next door to Oakland) is similarly full of helpful employees. It seems more hit-or-miss than anything.

I notice a big difference when I visit friends who are in a small town. It's really nice.
On Sun, 28 Nov 2010 20:54:21 -0500, "Percival P. Cassidy"

Please put the shovel in the bag!

I've had a similar problem but I think I actually moved my hands as if I was putting something in the bag and it worked. Weird.

Yeah, because underneath the bag is a scale that is supposed to measure if something is really put into the bag.
On Mon, 29 Nov 2010 07:46:48 +0000, Marina wrote:

I wonder how much weight they'll take before they break? Might be interesting to try...
On Mon, 29 Nov 2010 18:21:07 +0000 (UTC), Jules Richardson

An 80 pound bags of concrete didn't break it but it popped up a message about getting assistance. I guess they figured you could sneak $100 worth of router bits on the scale with a bag of concrete and it wouldn't notice the difference. Those bags are far from a precision fill.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in wrote:

You didn't drop it from high enough.

You won't hurt the scale. It is just a slotted wheel counting pulses. The platform still bottoms out on a hard surface.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in wrote:

Then, they shouldn't object :-)
Wheel over one of the rack ladders if you have to. Wear a Mythbusters shirt.
On Sun, 28 Nov 2010 20:54:21 -0500, "Percival P. Cassidy"
The other day I was at Lowes with the stick of lumber and it popped up "skip bagging" when it rang up. I hit that and it went on.
On 11/28/2010 8:30 PM snipped-for-privacy@aol.com spake thus:

Lowe's seems to have gotten many things better than Home Despot.
I was really surprised when I applied for a bunch of positions for a new Lowe's store opening in San Francisco. I actually got an email message for each job I applied for, saying I didn't get it.
*Nobody* gives you any feedback for job applications anymore; I was really impressed by this. Never been in a Lowe's store, but should check it out someday.
On 11/28/2010 10:35 PM, David Nebenzahl wrote:

You applied for a "bunch of positions" in a store you'd never been in? Getting a bit desperate?
On 11/28/2010 8:37 PM cjt spake thus:

Actually, I am.