Exposed Romex wiring - drilling into beam to hide wire?

Page 2 of 2
On Wed, 08 Jan 2014 18:44:02 +0000, SethF

How about putting a soffit there or let the wires come into a cabinet? The wire that is cut can be moved into the soffit with an exposed cover or into the cabinet with a junction box.
You should mark one of those romex with black tape at the ceiling an where it exits the wall in case you do have to cut them. You should be able to tell them apart.
If you do decide to drill into the beam you can cut a larger opening in the sheet rock and drill up.
The romex that is cut is required to have the splices in a junction box that you can get to the cover. It can be in the attic.
On Wed, 08 Jan 2014 18:44:02 +0000, SethF

BTW there is no way I would be trying to do any of that from the attic. You have finished sheet rock to do. Make you a big work hole.

If you cut the sheet rock to half of the stud, it makes things much easier to put back.

OR - Cut flush to the stud. Cut patch 4 inches larger in both directions. Cut the back paper of the patch in 2 inches on all sides and break of the rock, leaving the front paper. Butter the back of the front paper and the edges of the rock, pop the patch in and squeegee the overlapped paper, blend in the paper, sand lightly and repaint.
On Wed, 08 Jan 2014 21:15:18 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Maybe you could do that, but my sheet rock skills..............I don't have any sheet rock skills.
That would be a pretty big hot patch. No?

This method is so SIMPLE and makes a virtually invisible patch. It works even in the middle of a panel, far from studs - fill a hole where someone stuck a fist through the wall, where a doorknob knocked through, or where you need to open a wall to pull a wire. - or a ceiling to fix a plumbing leak, or whatever. Try it, and you'll never try another way to fix a hole in drywall. I know I won't.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Hi, There is you tube demo for that particular patch work.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I've done that ... but for a patch bigger than 6x6 or so I get better results by screwing a piece of 1x2 lumber across the top and bottom or sides of the hole to screw the patch to then mud & tape . -- Snag

(16 inch work hole)

(Centered on 2 studs for easy reassembly.)

If you look in the attic and choose the spot wisely you may get by with one hole.

I gotta quit drinking so much coffee.
On Wed, 08 Jan 2014 18:44:02 +0000, SethF

If your sheet rock skillz are really good, you can save the patch if you overlap the studs.
On Wednesday, January 8, 2014 12:44:02 PM UTC-6, SethF wrote:

main room and then into the wall to power 3 different outlets. We'd like t o redrill the attic holes to be behind the wall so this wire isn't exposed. There appears to be a ~4inch beam that we'll need to drill through (I am a ssuming this is why the wire comes into the room and then snakes back into the wall - to avoid this beam?) Is this a problem to drill three small hole s in the center of this beam? any advice is appreciated! --
Putting/working a piece of wood slightly larger than the hole size behind t he hole and screwing it to the existing sheet rock makes a good backing for a new piec of sheet rock to patch/fill the hole. Some white glue in the c rack between the existing sheet rock and the patch will make future hairlin e cracks less likely, then apply mud and finish like any other blemish in a wall.