exposed overhead duct, air deflector?

Our apartment is the factory type with exposed overhead ducts. It's possible to adjust the vents to send heat to the right or the left but I'd like the heat to come forward into the room. Is there an air deflector for an overhead vent? My only other option then is to buy one of those floor air deflectors and kind of wire it to the duct.
perhaps just remove the present deflector and evaluate the air flow.

Go to your local home improvement store. You can probably find a vent that does what you want for $10. Then you can swap it out for the one you don't like.

http://www.atlantasupply.com/swscripts/NLNETUPD.OBJ?REQR_TYPE=O&REQR_ID=NEW+CUSTOMER&AUTH_ID=+&&LOC_NO 1&REQUEST_IDATSEL_AS1
They will have what you need. Check out the movable vane ones
FYI, trying to shoot the air any distance, more than a few feet is a waste of time with the volume and pressure of all the residential systems I have seen.
Wiring a register up to the duct is really a waste of effort in most situations.
Deflect-o Corp. in Indianapolis IN http://www.deflecto.com/ makes a line of adjustable plastic deflectors with magnets. A lot of places sell them. Just Google the word Deflect-o.

Sure better than Defect-o. And ... they've worked great for me for many years.