Exposed Outdoor Main Breaker problems

Page 2 of 2
On Monday, December 15, 2014 11:50:22 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Around here they aren't so gentle. I saw a house fire where a fireman used the pointed end of a fireman's axe to rip the ring off the meter, then pry it out, letting it crash to the ground, smashed up real good. :)
On Mon, 15 Dec 2014 23:50:17 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

At one time it was quite common and I remember many buldings with external shutoffs,and the meters inside. The meter was often quite some distance from where the power entered the building - often right at the distribution panel/fuse box. I even remember seeing the disconnect mounted on the power pole next to the building, with the power coming down the pole to the disconnect, then down from there and entering the building underground - no rack attached to the building to connect the power wires to.
The meter reader had to enter the building to read the meter.
On Tue, 16 Dec 2014 05:45:00 -0800 (PST), trader_4

Yeah that is the trick I was talking about.
On Tuesday, December 16, 2014 6:13:43 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Oh, I get it now. I'm running a bit slow this AM I guess....
On Mon, 15 Dec 2014 04:20:11 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote:

That's what they do with elevators, I think
On Mon, 15 Dec 2014 04:20:11 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote:

Is there a cover that has to be opened. A cheap switch on teh cover, a normally closed switch, that makes the burglar alarm beep. They will usually be able to do that even when they're not armed. And someone with a baseball bat who can get out there quick.
On Tue, 16 Dec 2014 05:45:00 -0800 (PST), trader_4

But todays' smart meters are too smart to let that happen.
When there's a fire, like some squid, they change to the color and pattern of brick or cinder block, so no one can find them.