Explosives: Tree stump removal

Page 4 of 4

Do you know the laws regarding "destructive devices"? and the penalties for making them?
--
Jim Yanik,NRA member
jyanik-at-kua.net
Crafty wrote:

Gunpowder isn't unstable, as you well know. Some people are just scared of anything they don't know. OTOH, you apparently haven't been around people who do know how to blow stuff up without making a complete botch of it. You have to shape the charge or at least direct it.
But to the larger topic. Your description of how hard this wood is, sounds like a troll. Or, you have really crappy tools. A simple brace and bit would have bored those holes just fine, let alone using any power equipment. You have had these stumps for years. If you had drilled a few holes and put potassium nitrate in the holes, most of your problem would be solved, and the potassium nitrate if put into the wood holes would not affect your well. You best solution is still to bore deep holes, add potassium nitrate, wait a year, and then burn the stumps. First, don't buy some fancy stump dissolver since it is just plaint potassium nitrate. If you can't find it, just use ammonium nitrate (common fertilizer), pack the holes, add water, and seal the hole if you want. To burn these stumps, a contained fire would work a lot better, although a hot maintained fire will also work. You will need a bunch of fuel, so you need to build a bonfire around the stump.
Of course, a much simpler solution is what everyone clearing land does, buldoze the stumps into a pile and burn them.
On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 00:59:39 GMT, "George E. Cawthon"
[snip]

You reminded me. Many years ago I had a mesquite stump to get rid of (mesquite is *very* hard).
Sawed it off as flush to the ground as I could manage with a big logger's saw, then dug around the roots to expose them.
Covered the whole thing with charcoal and lit it off.
Daily I'd come home from work and add more charcoal.
It was gone (below ground-level) in slightly over a week.
...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Did you BBQ with it daily too?
You should have ;-)
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
I did that once. Every day, a brushoff of the previous day's ashes, more charcoal, plenty of heat.

Please keep us apprised of your progress, or at least your widow should. I want to make a nomination for the "Darwin Awards".

--
Bait for spammers:
root@localhost

Well, ok. First of all, you'd get a more effective and cheaper blast using ammonium nitrate (common fertilizer) and diesel fuel. Problem is that you need to set it off with a blasting cap and that might be tough to get. Second of all, you normally dig down between the roots, make a much larger hole which you pack with the mixture above. Third of all, you don't ever do that with a sump below.
The well sump is a real problem. The folks who told you that nitrogen based fertilizer will work were quite right, but I don't know if the residue is something you want to end up in your well.
FWLIW, I'd do it the hard way - dig down as far as you can, hook your largest vehicle to the stump (use heavy chain) and pull. It's not easy, but you'll eliminate the problem of well damage which could be far more expensive.
If it were me, I'd get a friend with a backhoe and I'd stick an old chain on the chainsaw.
--
Larry
Email to rapp at lmr dot com

If renting a grinder is too inconvenient how about using a chainsaw as a gouger. That is use the tip of the chainsaw to gouge out a large hole in the stump so that you can pour chemicals into it and minimize the chemicals running out to contaminate the soil. Once the surface layers of the stump have softened use the chainsaw to remove the gunk and repeat the process until the stump can be cut back to below ground level.
possible editing):
...snip

No flame intended, but that is EXTREMELY DANGEROUS! Never, ever use the tip of a chainsaw to gouge - that's an invitation for kickback and serious injury. Many folks cut with the top of the bar, most use the bottom, and a few adventurous souls (usually loggers) use the bottom quarter of the tip, but never the top quarter.
--
Larry
Email to rapp at lmr dot com

I wouldn't. Too easy to catch the wrong side of the tip and get a saw bar in your skull.
Might try an angle grinder with a wood carving disc installed, however.
On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 15:58:42 GMT, Charles