Explosives: Tree stump removal

Page 2 of 4

Michael Baugh wrote:

Sounds like Excedrin headache #712,if the spike lets go :o)

Al, you're my kind of guy (or, it takes one to know one, and I know what you been doing :-)
Crafty writes:

Aside from the legal problems, admit that you have no idea how big or deep this hole should be, and how much powder to charge in. Guessing will not work. Some things can be learned on-the-job, but blasting?
There are good reasons that stumps are no longer removed by blasting, even by those who might know how.
Crafty ( snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com) wrote: : Hello. I have been having trouble with removing a stump. I cannot afford to : rent a dozer, grinder, or hire someone to do it for me. I have several : LARGE stumps to remove. Digging is also impossible because there are many : other tree roots nearby, and the ground is mostly rock and clay.
I've heard that you can get rid of stumps by drilling holes into the stumps and then watering frequently (daily?) with a high nitrogen fertilizer. The organic breakdown of wood is limited by the supply of air, water and nitrogen - give it plenty of all three and it'll turn to compost pretty quickly. At least, that's the theory - I've never done this.
There's also burning out the stump. It's reckless, but probably safer than blasting. I'd use the air/water/nitrogen technique myself.
I did a quick look in google and found this.
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/tips/msg0412444421263.html
--- Chip
Its possible to buy explosives to remove the stumps. Here you must obtain a license from the county before you can purchase explosives. Its not cheaper then grinding. When you are done removing them with explosives you have a large hole in the ground that will need to be filled and a large stump that will need to be disposed of in some manner ( you said no fire). Grinding makes a lot of sense. A lot of stumps can be done in a day. I like to burn my stumps. I simply build a small fire on top of the stump and add some more fire wood every few hours. Usually takes about a week.

Yeah,like that will work.Might shoot the cork a good distance.

When using explosives,one must consider where the debris will fly. (possible damage to property,especially other's) Blasting inside city limits also is a no-no.
From your comments/plans,it appears you lack knowledge of safely doing any explosives work. I'd suggest a pro.
--
Jim Yanik,NRA member
jyanik-at-kua.net

I load shotgun shells often, so I am familiar with gunpowder. I wasn't aware that it was so unstable, and I've never had it detonate prematurely. A little wood glue should hold the cork in place well enough. I already have gunpowder, so the cost would be minimal.
All right, let's give you an introduction to explosives. Something explodes because it is in a confined space. A cork plugging the hole is not sufficient to keep the gunpowder from simply burning quickly and popping the cork. Frankly, I cannot BELIEVE that people haven't told you about the most common way to make an explosive, but perhaps it's so they don't want to share it with a few dozen teenagers looking for a way to blow something up.

Okay, again, I wasn't aware that there were explosives training classes. Where did you go to school, Afghanistan? I am not a teenager, either.
Ammonium nitrate at the farm supply store, with diesel fuel to increase effect by a factor of 10, with a shotgun shell as detonator. It's what they used to "blow stumps". Oklahoma bombing used about 5,000 pounds of it.

You did it now! Son the black helicopters will be flying over your home!!!
When the Oklahoma bombing took place some people were shocked to find out about the mix for the bomb. Someone even mentioned to me as to how people find out about stuff like this. I mentioned one such conversation to my Dad and he reached into his file cabinat and showed me some information he has had for years on mixing and use of the fertilizer/diesel fuel mix. The sheet had the address where it came from, I forget the specifics, but it came right from a county goverment office, and it was given out to farmers with the intent for ues to blow stumps, ditches, and watering holes for livestock. Greg
Yeah, before posting it I did a search and verified that the same information is readily available. Such as http://www.virtualschool.edu/mon/Outlaws/TimeFertilizerBomb.html But in view of the "Homeland Security" stuff nowadays, and since the original poster obviously didn't get told how to do it at his local country store, I suggest salt peter to rot it out, instead.

Last report I saw about OKC was that it was AN/nitromethane mix,not ANFO. (NM used as Drag-racing or RC car fuel)
--
Jim Yanik,NRA member
jyanik-at-kua.net

prematurely.

sump.
doing
already
HD has stuff called "Stump Out" which is salt peter. It will speed rot. Also, you could easily cut the stump out a few months after application.
EJ
EJ wrote:

Buying potassium nitrate at a hugely inflated price as salt peter isn't really smart. And, unless you live in a very warm and wet climate, the salt peter isn't going to make the stump easlily cut out in a few month. Try 3-4 years and even longer depending on they type of tree.
Salt peter is just potassium nitrate. and ammonium nitrate or sodium nitrate will work just as well as a fraction of the cost
Michael Baugh wrote:

I know. And getting mushrooms started on the stump will break it down, too. Only reason I mentioned the saltpeter is because the stump rotting product had already been mentioned, with the same ingredient. Even if it took a 50 pound bag of ammonium nitrate, it would be better than an amateur trying his hand with blasting stumps.

simply
deep
catch
sump.
my
similar.
doing
wasn't
already

let him try it... he will have even more stumps... like stumps for arms and legs if he's lucky...
Did you hear the one about the man that woke up in the hospital after a bad accident? He screamed "I can't feel my legs!!!" Doctor comes in and says, "That's right. Your arms are gone." The tree stumps aren't eating anything, some fertilizer on them and in them will help break them down over a few years, and be done with it.

and