Exploding Transformers (hurricane damage)

Page 2 of 2

I can appreciate the liability, but the power is going out anyway in a Cat 4 or 5 storm. Shut down ahead, it would be restored much faster for the rest of the population. I'd think that at least some sections would be taken out, away from hospitals. Many hospitals have backup power anyway for just that reason.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Probably not a significant difference in restoration time owing to much of the damage being far more severe than just replacing fuses in a transformer.

If I were on life support dependent on electric power,I would have a backup generator.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
snipped-for-privacy@UNLISTED.com wrote:

The coolest thing I ever saw was in high school at football practice. Our kicker was practicing field goals and the ball hit one of the live wires on the poles. For whatever reason, the two hot wires on the pole were close enough together that the football caused them to get close enough to arc. As the wire started oscillating, there were sparks flying between the wires from pole-to-pole. It was the most awesome thing I have every seen. After it blew out the power on the adjacent street, some redneck lady came out of her house across the street and shouted something to the effect of "Whoever did that better turn them damn lights back on". Yea right lady, like that highschool football player is going to climb the pole and fix it.