Expired Silicone Caulking Not Drying Within 24 Hours

I used GE Silicone II to caulk about 2 feet of my bathtub. It was an unused container, but it expired in Dec. of 03. Also, it was stored in my garage in Cincinnati, and it undoubtedly was exposed to temperatures in excess of 80 degrees. About 27 hours have gone by, and it is still tacky. Was there something wrong with the caulking or should I wait some more to see if it dries. I should also add that with high gas prices, we have been keeping our house cool. (About 60 degrees when home and awake, and about 50 degrees at night.) Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

JD

Reply to
Decij

Silicones cure by reaction with moisture (humidity). They are rather temperature sensitive as are many chemical reactions. So just be patient and in a week ot two everything could be just fine. To test the material lay out a bead in your office or somewhere there are more normal temperatures and humidity an see how it cures. If the problem persists, bitch to GE Customer Service but look for some of the earlier caulk versions. They may be the better product. My experience with Type II is that is s-l-o-w cure much more so than the original. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

In my experience it does, indeed, expire and in just the way you are experiencing--tacky. Although I'm a bit surprised it did so so soon after the date. Perhaps the heat did hasten it, but I don't believe the cool temps you mention would have much effect. It ought to say on the label what the working range is.

I'd give up on this batch--scrape it out and start over with a fresh tube. And if you don't use it often, get the smallest size they sell, because once open it will 'go' quicker still!

---JWW

Reply to
John W. Wells

I used GE Silicone II to caulk about 2 feet of my bathtub. About 27

I have found both silicone and polyurethane adhesives should be bought and used, with very little storage time, and should therefore be bought in small amounts, and just when needed. Agree with prior poster, who says just scrape it out and use new caulk. Tackiness, or very slow drying, is usually a sure sign of out of date caulk.

Reply to
Rodger

Thanks a lot for your help.

JD