Experience with Home Depot or Lowe's Wood Fence Purchase/Installation?

Page 2 of 2

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

Pine, cedar, and heart redwood (notice that's _heart_ redwood) are all fine woods for fences. Pine should last you 10 years unpainted. Keep it painted, and it will last indefinitly. My dad built his own heart redwood fence when I was a baby, and I just replaced some posts that rotted out after fifty years. He's in New Mexico, with similar weather to you. Redwood costs maybe three times as much as pine. Cedar is in the middle somewhere.
Before you pick your contractor, _insist_ on seeing some of his work. If you go with Lowes or Home Depot, make sure the work is by the guy they send you. Fences are simple to build, so the quality is in the details: * The top of the fence should be a straight, level line (unless it needs to follow the terrain, in which case it should be a nice curve). * Gates should be sturdy and straight, and they should swing easily. All gates sag over time, but they shouldn't drag when new. * The panels should be vertical. * Use steel posts instead wood. The steel posts don't rot. That's not a huge concern in AZ, but it still happens. Wood posts also warp, making your fence lean. * Pet Peeve: Make the contractor cut the tops off the posts short enough that they don't show above the fence.
--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement

Following up on my own post to thank all of you for your experience and advice. I have had my doubts about the contracting and workmanship issues with Home Depot and Lowes. Reading your posts pretty much confirms that I won't use them.
As to carpeting, we had extremely good luck with Home Depot and the installers they used. But, then, that's not a fence. :-)
I'll check out several fence companies and get some bids.
Thanks again to all of you who commented!
--
Wayne Boatwright
Wayne Boatwright wrote:

I wouldn't say not to use them. I'd say to get references for the guy they want to send out.
--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement