Experience patching chips in porcelain sink

One of our sinks has a quarter-sized irregular chip in it from when somehone presumably dropped a sharp object in the sink.

We would prefer to patch it ourselves rather than investing in something like a full reglazing which would involve removing the sink, etc.

Googling, I have seen various patch kits offered on the Internet. Couple of questions though:

- What have been people's experience with these mixtures of putties and sprays? How noticeable is the patch when you are done? Are some products particularly recommendable?

- Most of the products seem to only come in white/almond/bone. We have an old "swiss chocolate" colored sink. Do you know of any sources of such less standard colors? Alternatively, is there a way to add pigment to match the color?

Thanks

Reply to
blueman

The best ones use some sort of two-part epoxy paint. I've never been able to get a really good match, even with something as simple as white (the color drifts over time). A real paint store might be able to pigment an epoxy paint to the proper color, but without pulling the sink (so they can scan a "chip"), the match ain't going to be very good.

I can pretty much guarantee that replacing the sink (preferably with a real porcelain sink, instead of the current steel sink) would be the lowest-hassle solution -- what you're doing is at best a band-aid. If you're trying to keep with the same color scheme, 'tho, it ain't going to be particularly cheap.

Reply to
Andy Hill

It this sink 100% porcelain or is it coated metal?

My experience with coated metal with chips is to give it up and buy a real 100% porcelain sink. The builder put cheap ones in my home of 12 years. So far I have replaced three of four of them and the only remaining one gets little wear, but I expect to be replacing it before long as well.

Now my tub did get a couple of chips and the repair I did on it is still lasting 12 years later and looks good. I used the same materials on all the projects.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I believe it is 100%. The gouges are pretty deep (1/8") and no sign of metal. Also underside seems to be corrugated and not metal.

The argument against replacing is that it is one of a pair of matched sinks plus also matches the bathtub, toilet, and tiles. Plus, I believe color is no longer actively in production.

What materials did you use?

Reply to
blueman

Could be enamel coated cast iron sinks like Kohler makes. In my opinion they were and still are the best quality fixtures made. If they were just painted steel you'd know it because gouges that deep would reveal the steel. It's easy to tell by tapping on the sink bowl with your knuckle. If it's a dull sound, it's cast. If it's steel it will produce a tinny sound.

Understandable. Perhaps you may want to contact one of the professional outfits that recoat them and see if they''ll fill the gouges.

Reply to
G Henslee

I've chipped a few tubs in my line of work. called a pro to come out & repair it. The cost wasn't bad & the repairs were almost invisible.

Reply to
3rd eye

Sounds like cast iron, then...

Good idea, though would this still require removing the sink or do they make house calls?

Reply to
blueman

No removal. They do the process in place.

Reply to
G Henslee

Just a small bottle of paint sold for that use. I suspect it was slightly formulated special for the use. As I recall the manufacturer had several colors and recommended mixing them if needed.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan