Expansion space, trim for wood floor/sliding door

Hi,

I'm getting ready to install a hardwood floor (3/4" oak strip), and need to know how to install and trim in front of two sliding patio doors. The doors have an oak threshold that is almost exactly the height of the finished floor. The flooring strips will run parallel to the door, so I'm wondering if I can butt the floor boards right up against the threshold for a "no bump" transition. Do I need to leave expansion space, and if so how should I trim the gap for minimal ugliness?

Thanks, Mitch

Reply to
Mitch Skool

The flooring should not be able to push against the door sill, and if you lay it up tight, you are going to get some pressure when the humidity is high. It would be far better if the threshhold overlays the flooring. I think in your situation I would tear up the old threshhold and replace it with one that sits at least 1/4" higher than the floor, and then cut a rabbet in the threshhold to receive the expansion.

Reply to
donald girod