expanding bathroom

We are hoping to widen our 5x9 bathroom to 7x9 by borrowing space from an adjacent bedroom.
The left wall has a built-in set of drawers, a closet and the tub.
The right wall has cast-iron baseboard heat, sink and toilet.
I think it will be easier and less expensive to move the tub side as there is less plumbing. However, I have never moved a tub!
We had hoped to do most of the work ourselves and hire an electrician and plumber only. Do we need a professional to reposition our tub? Has anyone done this?
Any feedback is appreciated. Michelle
Michelle wrote:

On a slab?? Basement access below??
Moving a tub can be difficult task. Lots of "ifs". And if it's *not* on a slab, you'll need to compute load-carrying ability of the floor structure. To say nothing of what loads the partition wall is carrying.
Jim
Michelle:
M > We are hoping to widen our 5x9 bathroom to 7x9 by borrowing space from an M > adjacent bedroom.
Possible. A few other considerations. Is this a weight-bearing wall? Is there anything in the wall, such as a HVAC vent or a sewer vent? (Electrical would be easy to mov.) Will borrowing that 2' from the bedroom cause problems in the bedroom? (Better rephrase that! <g>) What I meant was will the bedroom still be large enough, or will it be necessary to crawl over the bed to make it because the dresser now abuts the foot of the bed?
- barry.martinATthesafebbs.zeppole.com
* I may be weird now, but I'm saving up to be eccentric!
--
RoseReader 2.52 P003186
The Safe BBS Bettendorf, IA 563-359-1971