Expand 1 duplex outlet to 2 duplex outlets?

If there's a better forum for residential and commercial electrical supply wiring questions, please forgive and inform.
I want to expand a single duplex outlet to dual duplex outlets. If this were a romex type wire job, it would be a no-brainer. But this is a small office building with metal conduit entering and leaving the box, so besides it being nailed to the framing member behind sheet rock, the conduit makes it pretty hard to remove the box and install another.
How can I do this? I thought of adding another box to the side of the existing one with a close nipple between and just routing the wires to the new box. Cover the old box with a blank plate and put the duplex outlets in the new box.
That's my current plan. Any suggestions to the contrary?
Thanks,
--
Dave C
snipped-for-privacy@mailblocks.com
030929 0356 - volts500 wrote:

Yes, this would be the way to go, but if the object is to have more places to plug in lightweight office equipment, then the cube would be a lot less troublesome and less expensive, and be more effective and provide more outlets, as long as there was no intent to plug in window air-conditioners, and other heavy duty appliances. The cube would provide 3 outlets to the one, and in the case of a duplex outlet, would provide 6 places to plug into. The cube can be purchased at your local hardware or Home Depot store.
On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 0:56:44 -0700, volts500 wrote

Thanks, V500. I never thought that the box would already be a 4-square.
--
Dave C
snipped-for-privacy@mailblocks.com
ever consider one of the outlet expanders. I bought one that plugs into both parts of the recpt and gives me 6 places to plug in equipment. One of them even has a surge arrestor in it.

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 5:12:46 -0700, Zathera wrote

Seeing how it was the local fire inspector who was attracted to our use of our extensive use of extension cords and power strips, I don't think he'd be amenable to this solution.
He said to provide more outlets for direct plug-in of equipment.
--
Dave C
snipped-for-privacy@mailblocks.com

Adding another box alongside the original should be fine and meet Code.
--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Home Page: http://www.repairfaq.org/ Repair | Main Table of Contents: http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/ +Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ: http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/lasersam.htm | Mirror Site Info: http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_mirror.html
Important: The email address in this message header may no longer work. To contact me, please use the Feedback Form at repairfaq.org. Thanks.
By installing one more outlet fed off of the existing one you just install the "expender" in to the wall, it will hide from inspector, but it the essence it is not any better solution. Providing more home runs would be the real fix to the fire inspector (if he does not like expender). Art.

art wrote:

Well, theoretically yes, but practically no. Fire inspectors don't like lots of extension cords. They can heat up, short out, get kicked, all sorts of abuse that cannot happen to wall wiring, regardless of the overall circuit load.
If indeed you created a rats nest of wires, then I doubt that even this device will help as you have stated that you are to install a new receptacle NEXT to the existing one. You might need more circuits/outlets in different locations. Have you considered wiremold or Plug mold. http://www.wiremold.com/shared_content/pdf/ed1025.pdf This is what I use for my office.
Once upon a time in Prescott AZ there was a fireman who ran an electric space heater on an extension cord across his daughters bed. The cord caught the bedding on fire and he was heralded as a hero because he installed a smoke detector in the bedroom. I heard about it on the news and called the fire department and suggested that the guy get sent to electrical 101 training again. Since he was supposed to be trained not to do these things.
It is not my intention to be condescending. I am trying to help and sometimes my thoughts and my text are not the best of fellows. Sorry if I have offended.
The simplest solution that is not a 6-way tap (not the best solution, though- that would require adding a circuit and a new receptacle adjacent to the current one) would be to replace the duplex receptacle with something like Leviton part no. 1254-I which is a 4-in-1 receptacle which attaches to the same mounting ears as the original, but which is equivalent to having a double duplex outlet connected to the existing wiring. Robert

Zathera wrote:

Outlet expanders: Presuming this is in North America. Yes; usually only a few dollars (even the protected ones) and while the ground pin is common, even if the outlet is 'split' i.e. different 115 volt 'poles' on top and bottom of the existing outlet, the expander will (at least the ones I've got) give you three outlets from the top of the duplex and three from the bottom. But since the clutter of AC wires in the area of the outlet will be the same what's wrong, especially with 'normal' office loads, with with an outlet bar, possibly incorporating a small circuit breaker and/or voltage protection. Quick, cheap, an easy to do and portable solution.
Just a side note: Be aware that electrical code prohibits "hidden or concealed junction boxes", therefore if you add a double box and then want to cover the original single one with sheetrock/paneling (instead of just making it wider) then that violates code.

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 16:00:51 -0700, Pac-Fan wrote

Yes, I was aware of this. While having the boxes side-by-side is a little more difficult to find covers to fit, I wasn't going to hide the original.