Exhaust vent:

Hi all. Has anyone seen an windproufe, snowproufe bathroom exhaust fan that vents through the roof? I have an roof vent that uses an polysteyrene ball but it sometimes freezes or bounces around in high winds. Would like to find something more reliable.
Sal

Mine discharges into the attic. It just has a valve that opens when the fan is on. Seems to work fine.
od

I sincerly hope your joking the excess moisture can cause mold and rot troubles. never vent a bath fan into a attic

I sincerly hope your joking the excess moisture can cause mold and rot troubles. never vent a bath fan into a attic
========================================= We never use the shower in that br.I looked up there. seems fine. The inspector didn't say anything about it.
It would be easy to vent but since I don't use the shower in there I'm not going to worry about it. My other br has vaulted ceilings and doesn't seem to need a fan.
od

Do you know if the inspector actually saw it? If he did, he's an obvious hack because as others have pointed out, this not only is a code violation, it's a very bad idea.

Do you know if the inspector actually saw it? If he did, he's an obvious hack because as others have pointed out, this not only is a code violation, it's a very bad idea.

since we really don't use the br i'm not worried about it. you're right he probably is a hack. i can easily run a vent to the side of the house. if i ever sell i'll take care of it. i looked around the vent and couldn't see any mold.
question. how do you know it's a code violation if you don't know the state i'm in? TX is pretty relaxed with building codes from what i've seen.
od

It depends on the inspector. Some are tough, some are lenient. I just build beyond the code, and the inspector never complains. Well, he always complains, but about somebody else's work. :-)
--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement

How them beams and insulation look, black from mold and rot?
Results for: dictionary windproufe
Your search - dictionary windproufe - did not match any documents.
Suggestions:
a.. Make sure all words are spelled correctly. b.. Try different keywords. c.. Try more general keywords. d.. Try fewer keywords. I'm afraid to look for snowproufe.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Must be some new fangled thing that allows you to piss into the wind. Have you tried Billy May's site?

you tried Billy May's site?
I knew there just had to be some d a es can even unnerstand american cajun.
Sal

Yea, I'm just some run of the mill dumb-ass who does American English.

I talk a very little *coon ass*. Are you Cajun?
How much dim eggs? Ten cents! Five cents if dey cracked!
"Crack me a dozen!"

Ain't it crackS me a dozen?

Yes. I stand corrected!

Broan makes a wide variety of roof vents you can find in HD or Lowe's. Here's one: http://www.broan.com/display/router.asp?ProductID=2925

They are very low to the roof. I've installed those in southern areas where there's little or no snowfall. Anything over a few inches and it will be blocked.
Sal ---
Follow Mike rock's advice ... Lowe's and Home Depot carry good-quality bathroom fans and good-quality roof vents (avoid the cheap aluminum ones) that are fairly wind-proof and snow-proof.
For higher quality we installed a Fantech DLX-150 (Fantech Inc.) in the attic which vents two bathrooms to the outside simultaneously. Fantech also carries an excellent heavy duty vent that goes through the roof.
Do NOT vent into the attic; that's asking for future problems regardless of your climate. In most places it's not even legal.
And ignore the small town Americans who know only one language (bastardized English) and think the entire rest of the world should communicate in their local dialect. Those guys need to stop living vicariously ... to get a life away from the keyboard and do some real international travelling. (Visiting the Canadian Niagara Falls is not "international travelling")

That variant of 'English' is, I think, 'murcan. T
Mine vents in the attic, but I ran 4" rigid duct from the bath fan up close to an existing power attic fan so at least the air is guided out of the vent. I could not see putting another hole in the roof. Its been like that for years, so far no problems.