exercising an emergency generator

Page 3 of 3

Federal Law for emergency generators in hospitals and nursing homes (and don't quote me): checked weekly (battery, belts, oil, fuel, etc.); run monthly with 20% load.
its so easy to flash a genset i wouldnt worry about running it every month , it wouldnt hurt anything if you did run it every month. just stabilize some gas,and then run it out of fuel. to flash it,just plug in a drill,hold the trigger on and turn the chuck backwards till it takes off..

I built this one to match my T1-11 workshop building:
http://flickr.com/photos/joearnold/3122975824/sizes/o /
http://flickr.com/photos/joearnold/3122975606/sizes/o/
i got a 4000kw kohler genset out of motor home it runs on gasoline .i have the nat gas conversion but havent used it yet. k321 14hp engine runs 1800 rpm and has fuel pump. i put a 3 gallon tank on the handle away from the engine when i put the wheels under the genset. i put a t in the fuel line and mounted the male omc fuel fitting to the line just above the top level of the 3 gallon tank ,secured it with hoseclamps to the handle ,it closes off when unplugged . i can turn the gas off at the tank and hook up my 6 gallon omc portable boat tanks to it . its worked out good. the boat tank is away from the genset about 6 feet so i can fill it while shes running or just plug into another tank while its running . the 3 gallon tank is mounted on the handle i pull the unit around with and is handy for useing the genset for shorter periods of time. i put a round car muffler on it and is very quiet. made a battery rack big enough for a large car battery so i could just toss whatever size batt i may have on it ,mower batt or truck batt . i mounted a 4 plug 110 outlet box on a 20 amp breaker to the thing on a 1/4 " thick 1-1/2 inch angle iron upright. and have a 30 amp breaker circuit for plugging into the house. there are some really good gensets to be had cheep out of rv's .those new 3600 rpm gensets just seem like they are screaming when running. i cant run everthing in the house but it does the gas furnace,fridge ,tv and some lights with no strain. i have gas stove and waterheater so no elec required there. i think the transfer switch is the safest way to run into the house ,or extension cords.
I really want a permanent generator with auto transfer switch. but havent had the bucks:(
my one generator has fittings for natural gas but I havent gotten around to all that entails............
only so many hours in a day:(
Natural gas feed is good, NG tends to be very dependable.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Why is that?
Just cause its all underground?

The power goes out the Natural gas just keeps pumping during a power outage, gas stations may be closed.

Remember to allow for security...a remote and battery powered alarm system for starts.
You wouldn't believe how "popular" you become when you are the only one in the neighborhood with power.
The lights, the noise and the warm/cool house...it draws neighbors and crooks like a moth to a flame.
TMT