exercising an emergency generator

Remember to allow for security...a remote and battery powered alarm system for starts.

You wouldn't believe how "popular" you become when you are the only one in the neighborhood with power.

The lights, the noise and the warm/cool house...it draws neighbors and crooks like a moth to a flame.

TMT

Reply to
Too_Many_Tools

I may do that.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I wonder if we live on the same street. I've got one of those neighbors.

Thousand watt inverter is 83 amps, plus losses, at 12 volts. What kind of connection? Bigger than a lighter socket, I'd guess?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Natural gas feed is good, NG tends to be very dependable.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

jumper cable clips, that came with inverter. although I just picked up some longer heaer all copper cable jumper cable set, will modify with ring terminals at inverter end.

our inverter easily runs our 34 inch tv, a satellite receiver and CFL living room light in a quick emergency

Reply to
hallerb

I have a 6500 watt tri-fuel generator. I run it under a load for 15 minutes once a month. I keep a 100 watt light bulb burning inside the home built box (generator is on my deck). The unit is 10 years old. The battery for starting is kept in my basement and gets charged every week. For most outages, I use a 600 watt inverter connected to two deep cycle batteries for lights etc. I don't try to use the gen to keep my refrigerator cold. The frozen food I could lose costs less than the gasoline needed to keep it frozen. During cold weather I can put (not frozen) food outside in a cooler.

---MIKE---

Reply to
---MIKE---

Why is that?

Just cause its all underground?

Reply to
me

I use welding cable for my 1500 watt inverter.

Reply to
Jim Rusling

I can understand this, but I also have a basement that's dry, but seems to be more humid than my garage, based on what my motorcycle leathers tell me. The problem, of course, is that my garage freezes in the winter, whereas my basement doesn't. So, getting the snowblower started up during the first SERIOUS cold snowstorm if I haven't run it within a month prior is a challenge. It's running fine now, thank goodness, with all this snow we're having now.

Reply to
KLS

That and Natural gas pipeline companies: use natural gas as a fuel to = run compressor units.=20 The power goes out the Natural gas just keeps pumping=20 during a power outage, gas stations may be closed.=20

Reply to
spud42