Evil Popcorn Ceiling

Hello,
The gf and I are about to move into first condo together and, since we have no more money for anything, we'd like to know if it's possible to simply seal coat the popcorn with some type of paint-on sealent and then simply use drywall paste over that?
We have no money, lots of time, and the building was made around 1971 (so, until it's tested, we'll assume asbestos).
Anything you can tell us, or point us to, is appreciated.
--
Bones288

You will probably find that just scraping off the popcorn, and touching up with compound mud (drywall paste ???) Will be a far easier/cheaper option.
Just spray it with water, wait a few minutes and off it comes with a scraper. (most rooms can be done in under a half hour)
AMUN

I've had good luck removing them by getting them good and wet with a pump-up garden sprayer then carefully scraping.
My problem is that if it has asbestos in the popcorn then it is illegal for me to remove it myself (much less illegal for me to dump asbestos in the garbage).
Can I cover over it without removing it first so long as I seal it in very well?
--
Bones288
Bones288 wrote:

How do you *KNOW* this for your area? Where are you? The Pacific Northwest? It typically costs around $25 to $50 USD to know if it contains asbestos or not.

If it contains asbestos, then you are better off not touching it at all. As soon as you start messing with it, you run the risk of it flaking off and dispersing those nasty fibers into the air and eventually landing on your bed pillow where you will inhale them deeply in your sleep. The resulting internal carnage is best left to your vivid imagination.
If it doesn't contain asbestos (the most likely scenario), then its an easy but somewhat messy half day task to remove the evil from your home.
Only testing will determine your next course of action.
--
Grandpa Koca - SAHD for 6 - Keeper of the Perpetual Kindergarten

What is that dripping from my fingers?

Scrape it off, put it in bags and put it in the trash. This is done every day across America. It is not harmfull in that form. Only a tiny portin is asbestos, if at all. Getting rid of it is far different that getting rid of pure asbestos inpowder form.

Sure, but it will continue to look like crap. Be done with it. In the dampened state is is safe to handle and will not spread around.
Really, they should just leave it alone unless they want it gone for asthetic reasons.

That is the biggest reason to make it "gone". Look like crap, IMO.
Bones288 wrote:

In that case, just paint it. Any paint will do as it encapsulates the asbestos, if there is asbestos.
But removal and disposal is best and probably isn't illegal as long as you don't know there is asbestos present. Depends on the exact wording of any local regulations.