Ever get ill after using a line-trimmer?

Page 3 of 3

Some solutions: Don't let it get so high. Wet it down to keep the dust down when you are in there. Go buy a $25 respirator with changeable cartridges and know that you're not taking that stuff in. All that dust can't be good for you, no matter what is in there. And there is some rodent and insect particles in there that can downright kill you. Hantavirus. Valley fever, and a dozen other things.
I used to drive forklift at the Las Vegas Convention Center. For years, we'd get a gift show where people from all over the world would exhibit. Called ASD/AMD. I would always get sick after that show, from what I believed was inhaling particles off the merchandise and crates that were made in dirt shops all over the world, then transported as general cargo.
I wear a dust mask when I just do my weed eater. Well, not a dust mask, but a two cartridge respirator.
I'm worth it, and so are you.

You keep harping on this as if I have claimed that *I* am the owner of this property, which I am *not*.
I posted about this issue because I am interested in understanding the realationship between line-trimmer-use and disease.

I also have a 2-cartridge respirator, and I'll use it if a dust mask ends up being insufficient.

I did not harp on this. It was the first time I brought it up, and it was a suggestion, and not a "why" question, as it you had intent.
This thread has now been so convoluted, I can't tell if you are the OP or just a contributor. I have more comments, but some are for the OP, and some are for the PG. (peanut gallery)
Steve

Oh, sorry, my eyes must have wandered when I read the name of someone that *you* responded to earlier in the thread.
I thought it was the same guy posting the same thing again.

Then, I take it that you are NOT the person who originally wrote in for advice on how to handle the dust when trimming high weeds. Am I correct?
Steve

I've never used Outlook, but it sounds like you would be better off with a different client if it doesn't provide yout with the ability to easily go back and see for yourself.
Anyway, I *am* this thread's OP, but I wasn't asking for advice on how to handle dust. I was just curious to know if the experiance that I had was at all common.

I *was* bustin up a lot of pokeweed, and I know they're toxic.
It could have been that, but I figured that the reaction would have been more immediate it that was the case.
How rapidly did you get sick after trimming those Azaleas?
At this time of the year, all portions of the pokeweed are toxic. Toxic material is highest at the rootstock, where you would be cutting. And on a humid day, if you wipe your face, or the toxic material gets to your eyes or by way of the typical cuts and abrasions on your body, you can get into trouble without showing respiratory symptoms.

It didnt take long, I accidentally ingested some of the sap. I scraped my knuckle and sucked on it not thinking about my hands being coated in the sap.
Jimmie
on 8/15/2009 10:57 PM (ET) ShadowTek wrote the following:

Yes. I got dizzy and I started to see double. It got so bad I had to stop drinking beer. :-)

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
ShadowTek wrote:

My former neighbor used to wear a respirator when mowing the lawn due to allergy problems.