Ever get ill after using a line-trimmer?

Page 1 of 3

Has you ever became ill after using a line-trimmer?
The last two times that I've trimmed growth that was as tall I was, I ended up inadvertently inhaling some of the pulverized debris, and each night after that, I've ended up with a brief upper-respiratory infection.
I figured is was the inhalation of mold or fungus that caused it.
I was just curious if this could be a common thing when line-trimming massive amounts of vegetation.
Either way, I'm going to have to start remembering to use dust-mask from now on.
Why do you let it get so tall?

It's a temporary residence. It's only serviced a few times a year.

Why can't you answer a simple question?
SteveB wrote:

significantly less stuff blasted all over. So one possible remedy might be to have someone else attend to it when they aren't there.

Well, the blame has certainly been established. Now let's get on to the good part, the guilt.
I saw nothing in the way of positive statements that said the same thing or offered suggestions: You could mow it more often; you could apply herbicide; etc, etc, etc.
When you insert why into an answer, it loses any credibility.
Maybe the OP is disabled, like myself. Maybe he's working all the time to keep up with the Obamas. Maybe he's spread thin with all his responsibilities.
If you want to see a good answer, look at mine.
Steve
Not so much from string trimming, but when I use the lawnmower it kicks up a lot of dust and then for the next couple days I sneeze a lot. Or when I do other landscaping projects that raise the vegetation dust I get what feels like upper respiratory allergies. So I wonder if you are also having a kind of allergic reaction. I take Claritin (over the counter) and that helps a little.

Generic: Loratidine 10 Mg 30/$4.00 at WalMart

Mowers never bother me, even the dustiest of conditions. They simply cut and throw the vegetation, whereas my 4-cycle trimmer does a good job of pulverizing everything into a fine mist.
ShadowTek wrote:

Doing much of anything to the green stuff outside bothers me. (Why did I buy a house again?) Not just breathing in the dust/pollen/whatever, but even skin contact. It does seem to bother me less in hot muggy weather, when I am sweating enough to block easy entry to the skin pores, I guess. Or maybe the pollen is just at a low point by then, I dunno.
Anyway, a dust mask and safety glasses to keep stuff from spraying right into your eyes may help. I always jump right into a long shower right after working outside, that seems to minimize the symptoms.
What I really need is a steady supply of teenage kids that work cheap, but there do not seem to be any of those around here. And I'm too cheap to pay the $50+ for a lawn service. (That is the old fellow in a beat up pickup- the guys in the shiny trucks start at twice that.) But if you are bothered that bad, it may be worth it to you to make arrangements with somebody in the area to at least do a rough-cut a few times a summer, or even just as needed when you call them a couple days before you arrive.
Your 'temporary house' must be in an isolated area. Around here, even in this barely-governed rural township, once weeds and such get over knee high, and any neighbors or passers-by can see them and complain, they mow it and bill you.
-- aem sends...

Oh I never use a trimmer without safety glasses. I never use a mower without em either.
The biggest irratation to me in the summer is chiggers.
Personal bug spray helps, but I always take a very thorough shower after I've been outdoors for any length of time. I can't stand itchy chigger bites.

Yes, a 4-wheel-drive vehicle is required to reach the location on all but the dryest of days, which makes it difficult to find people willing to do any sort of work on that property, inside or out.
scorpionleather wrote:

I just this year started wearing a particle mask when I mow the lawn in the summer. Makes a BIG difference in the way I feel afterwards, along the lines of the effect you get the first time you wear hearing protection while mowing.
Jon
Jon Danniken wrote:

construction sites during my teenage years. I might have a little more of my hearing left. I was never into rock'n'roll concerts and never had a high-power stereo, so those are the only damaging exposures I had. But other than the jackhammer guys, nobody wore them back then. I wear muffs using any power equipment now, funny looks from the neighbors be damned. I want to hold on to what little hearing I have left.
-- aem sends...

I always wear earplugs when I mow, trim, hit a nail with a hammer, or anything else that seems uncomfortable. If have sensitive hearing, and I enjoy still being able to hearing failt sounds off in the distance that other people can't.

When I got my hearing aids, I walked out, and was amazed at how loud the birds were. At night I could hear crickets. And other little sounds. Like aemerijers, I wish I had taken more care, but in a lot of the situations I worked, hearing protection would have been a hindrance, as one had to listen to some of the sounds and other workmen. My hearing is very bad.
My exposures were very loud machinery, all manner of things. Compressors, needle scalers, compressed air tools, and industrial diving. In training, we used to blow down to 200' in 40 seconds. That has to toughen up the eardrums after a time. And then all the other up and down trips in up to 305' of water.
If I had it to do over, I'd do it different. I would stay in college, and probably been a liberal.
Maybe being hard of hearing isn't so bad after all.
Steve ;-)

Wear a dust mask.
ShadowTek wrote:

Sounds like you are allergic to some things and do not have a good immune strength. Too much histamine in your body can make you sick.

That statement seems to contradict itself. If I *don't* have a strong immune system, then my histamine response should be weak. If my histamine response was too *strong*, then that would be a manifestation of an allergic reaction, an *overactive* immune system.
Anyway, the symptoms took at least 6 hours to reach its peak, long after the job was done, and the only thing that seems like a reasonable explanation to me is that mold/fungus had infested my upper respiratory tract, and my immune system reacted swiftly and dealt with the intrusion.
If it were simply an allergic reaction, I would think that the symptoms would have developed far more rapidly, and then resolved in a similar fashion.

What were your symptoms? Earlier you wrote it was an upper respiratory infection, but infection is more like a diagnosis, not a symptom. For example, hard to breathe, pain anywhere, sneezing, stuffy head, sore throat etc.? When I get the allergies from dust kicked up while pulverizing vegetation, my symptoms are a stuffy head, lots of sneezing, and my voice changes. It feels very similar to a cold.

Within an hour or so, there was noticeable itchiness in the throat. That symptom I could simply attribute to an allergy, so it may or may not be coincidental to the later symptoms.
Maybe six hours later, after I had returned home had a long shower, my throat would start swelling, my head would start swimming, mucus production in the upper respiratory area would increase, and light coughing would start.
It generally felt like I had a cold, and it lasted throughout the next day.
I have been suggesting that it was probably mold/fungus because I have recently experience a very similar reaction after having inspected a mold-filled house that had suffered from water damage. As in that instance, the symptoms came on later that night, lasted for about a day, and felt just like having a brief cold.
One thing that I was lacking from your description was sneezing. In none of the previously mentioned instances did I experience any sneezing.