Ever get away with doing something stupid?

Page 2 of 2

I often work alone in the garage using power tools. I carry a cell phone with me and keep it in my pocket.
I've had a few close calls with sharp tools over the years.

Yup. I've kept a cell phone in my pocket whenever I do anything "dangerous" when I'm home alone every since I fell off the roof 25 years ago. The ladder slid sideways, and I ended up in the lilac bushes with no injuries. I was JUST LUCKY. There is neither "smart" nor "stupid" on many home improvement injuries. Sure, there are really "stupid" things, like using a saw without safety goggles, not turning off the breaker before modifying an electrical outlet, etc., but the older you get, the more careful you are, because "bad things have happened and you survived."

I always turn off breaker before doing anything electrical but learned long ago i might think its off but it may still be on:(
So I stick a screwdriver into a vulnerable spotto confirm its off!!!
On a couple occasions I have gotten a nice arc, better my screwdriver than me:)

== When I lived in the city I had a snow blower with an 8 HP motor and when it snowed I would often clear my driveway and sidewalk for myself and a couple of neighbors on either side of me. No problems most of the time but once after a heavy snowfall I "accidentally" digested one neighbors power cord. Its a wonder I didn't get a shock or worse. Local bylaws required overhead support for temporary cords so the neighbor really couldn't say much when I sheepishly rang his doorbell and handed him the mangled cord. Needless to say, I was more vigilante after that episode. ==

^^^^^^^^^
You killed your neighbor for leaving a cord on his driveway?
On Jun 13, 9:10am, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

== No, but I should have. That should have read "neighbor's power cord"...although with that neighbor I should really have blown the snow onto his sidewalk instead of from it. ==

Oh, after reading it again, you became more of a vigilante after. You weren't to the "killin'" stage yet. ;-)
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

That sounds to me to be a variation of the "Jesus Method".
That in-more-original-form is "best-done" with suitably-insulated wires of 12 AWG or preferably 10 AWG if that is convenient or if you need to do that a few times or more in your lifetime.
The "tip ends" are stripped to expose an inch or so of bare copper wire.
If you apply this to an outlet, a way mentioned is to suitably connect these wires to a cord-with-plug no thinner than AWG 16. Otherwise, I would offer usage of clip-leads to clip onto the mostly-insulated wires 12 - 10 AWG mentioned above, as well as to the circuit where you want to verify that it is "dead" or otherwise "kill it".
One thing that I would add - use a voltmeter to make sure that you have identified what wires you are up against, since the "Jesus Method" is intended to pop a hard-to-find breaker.
The action finally taken to "pop that breaker" is to short the circuit. That typically involves an initial spark often bright enough to mildly put a spot in peoples' eyes, a sound that can be considered anywhere from "mildly-moderately loud pop" to "more like a bang or 'small kaboom', " along with fair chance of a small brief shower to smaller splattering of small molten metal droplets that could be a problem if they hit anything flammable and you don't verify lack of a fire starting in such a way.
This method is traditionally called the "Jesus Method" because when that is done, traditionally either the one using it or someone else nearby screams "Jesus!" in response to the pop/bang sound and bright "initial spark", unless doing so a second or 2 later in response to everyone in the room in question still being as alive-and-well as 1 minute before.

Here, there was a bum found in a rail car. He took a nap for the ride. When they found him. under a hundred tons of re-bar, well you know.