Evaporator coil orientation question

I have a client with a horizontal flow air-handler that has his A-frame eva= porator with the air flow coming from the head of the A. The A-frame evapor= ator has been installed on its side (imagine the letter A turned exactly 90= degrees) instead of on its back (imagine the letter A lying on its back). = I have never seen an evaporator installed this way and suspect that it is w= rong. Can anyone give me any information please?

Reply to
recyclebinned

Sounds strange. Where does the water condensate go?

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

To the pan below the coil, what else?

Reply to
recyclebinned

so the one side of the a-coil is laying in the pan??

Reply to
hrhofmann

No only the foot of the A is. I did say =93the letter A turned exactly 90 d= egrees=94 NOT 135 degrees.

Reply to
recyclebinned

Most A coils I've worked with, the condensate pan is on the open end of the A. So, if the coils is like a > orientation, the pan is on the side.

.

To the pan below the coil, what else?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The A coils I've seen, that would put the condensate tray on the side.

.

No only the foot of the A is. I did say ?the letter A turned exactly 90 degrees? NOT 135 degrees.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

how is the coil set at 90, when the A is upright, it rests on the pan, at 90 something must be holding it up

Reply to
hrhofmann

On Tuesday, August 21, 2012 9:21:01 PM UTC-7, hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote= :

Frame of the coil is rigid so that=92s not hard to do. The frame can be scr= ewed on to the housing in any orientation. My guess is that the installer c= ouldn=92t get the lines to come out in the direction that he wanted so to m= ake it easy on himself he removed the coil from its housing, turned it 90 d= egrees and re-inserted it back into its housing. Here is a picture of a nor= mal coil with housing. Just imagine removing the coil, turning it 90 degree= s and re-inserting it into the same housing.=20

recyclebinned

degrees? NOT 135 degrees.

If you want help, you're going to have to talk nicer to these people. Two of your four posts so far have a measure of sarcasm. Above, it's not necessary to prove you said it right the first time, nor to go into numeric detail when you try to do so.

Does the AC function as expected? Or do you think there is a problem related to the air coming to the A from the top versus the bottom. I'll admit that that is not the same as bloging in one end of a straw versus blowing in the other end, but in general I don't see why it should matter.

Even if someone with experience here said, " I think it's better if the air comes in through the bottom of the A", I don't think that's enough to warrant charging a customer to turn the evaporator around, even if it were easy, and even you think it will be hard.

Look at their webpages, and if that doesn't answer your questoin, call the manufacturer of the A-frame and ask a tech if it matters which way t he air goes.

Is the AC newsgroup still around?

Reply to
micky

ctly 90 degrees=EF=BF=BD NOT 135 degrees.

The problem was that the evaporator was freezing over. It may have been bec= ause most of the registers were closed. It remains to be seen if it was due= to that or some other reason. I will be waiting to hear from my client. It= seems to me however that in its present configuration the top leg of the A= blows the condensate on to the bottom leg and would cause a restriction in= the air flow and to eventually cause it to freeze over.=20 I apologize to anyone who may feel that I wasn=92t nice but sometimes I get= frustrated when I think for an hour as to how to put something into words = that I hope will be understood but get misunderstood anyway.=20 I didn=92t see a name plate on the coil. There may be one inside its housin= g but I didn=92t want to waste my time taking it apart if my theory is wron= g.=20 If anyone knows the exact name of the AC newsgroup I would appreciate it. = =20

Reply to
recyclebinned

Yes, alt.hvac is still around.

.

Is the AC newsgroup still around?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Coil freezing over, is often due to reduced air flow. Or, oddly enough, can be due to low freon. Sometimes due to a restriction in the freon line.

The AC group is alt.hvac but most of those folks read here, too.

Would you like to *do* something about the freezing over? Or, is that just something you mention in passing? Maybe freezing over isn't a concern?

.

The problem was that the evaporator was freezing over. It may have been because most of the registers were closed. It remains to be seen if it was due to that or some other reason. I will be waiting to hear from my client. It seems to me however that in its present configuration the top leg of the A blows the condensate on to the bottom leg and would cause a restriction in the air flow and to eventually cause it to freeze over. I apologize to anyone who may feel that I wasn?t nice but sometimes I get frustrated when I think for an hour as to how to put something into words that I hope will be understood but get misunderstood anyway. I didn?t see a name plate on the coil. There may be one inside its housing but I didn?t want to waste my time taking it apart if my theory is wrong. If anyone knows the exact name of the AC newsgroup I would appreciate it.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

xactly 90 degrees=EF=BF=BD NOT 135 degrees.

ecause most of the registers were closed. It remains to be seen if it was d= ue to that or some other reason.

Good grief. Of course if you close off most of the registers there is a good chance you're going to freeze the coils. Surely that will do more to reduce the airflow than the air flowing through the coil backwards. Also, if it were the coil orientation, how long has it been installed? If the coil has been there for a substantial time and this problem is new, it would suggest that it's not the coil orientation.

The units I've seen, I have never seen a coil installed that way though. Very likely it was installed wrong. Did you google for the install manual?

I will be waiting to hear from my client. It seems to me however that in its present configuration the top leg of the A blows the condensate on to the bottom leg and would cause a restriction in the air flow and to eventually cause it to freeze over.

I would think it would take a hell of a lot of condensate for the condensate to significantly reduce the airflow. Likely more than the unit could produce. It's not like water is coming out at 1 GPM.

Reply to
trader4

Thanks you two. I found it. It wasn't in my selected groups, I guess because I changed computers a year ago, and I'd forgotten its name. .

Reply to
micky

The quality of manners there, about the same.

.