Evaporative Cooler putting too much humidity into my house

On Fri 25 Jul 2008 07:20:36a, AZ Nomad told us...

I concur with you on all points. I just don't like them. :-) I would rather spend the additional money and get what I want. We have a small home, 1600 sq. ft. We have a new house that is heavily isulated. Our cooling bills are below average.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

Sure they can, with suitable weather and a thermostat and a humidistat.

How many gph would you need to evaporate and how many cfm would you need to ventilate to provide 5000 Btu/h of net cooling in Prescott AZ in June, with 70 F indoor air and 85 F outdoor air with a 0.0047 humidity ratio?

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam

There should be enough air pressure to hold a tissue against a window screen. Keep opening windows until the pressure/flow is too low. Open windows on the house opposite the swamp cooler most, while keeping the pressure great enough to hold a tissue against the window screen.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

On Fri 25 Jul 2008 12:55:34p, told us...

I wasn't talking about Prescott; I was talking about Phoenix. So, "suitable weather" is the issue. The hot weather season is longer and considerably hotter in Phoenix. Probably wouldn't be suitable for anything other than Spring and Fall. And...any amount of added humidity to the air in my house is more than I want.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

Here in phoenix, I've considered a swamp cooler just as a source of humidity for the first part of summer, before monsoon season, where the RH is typically below 5%. You don't have to brush a metal object to see a spark. Touch a painted drywall wall, and they'l be a spark. My wife and I have made a habbit of touching hands first to discharge static electricity before a goodbye kiss. Those 1" sparks hurt!

Reply to
AZ Nomad

On Fri 25 Jul 2008 05:46:39p, AZ Nomad told us...

Yes, those sparks can hurt and take you by surprise. I suppose a swamp cooler is a good solution for introducing some humidity. We have a humidifier installed in our furnace, and even when we don't need the heat, I will sometimes run just the blower which will allow the humidifier to run. That's as much humidity as I care to have.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

Sure. There are times when evaporative cooling can keep your house exactly

70 F, and times when won't work, when your computer might AC instead. How many gph would you need to evaporate and how many cfm would you need to ventilate to provide 5000 Btu/h of net cooling in Phoenix in May, with 70 F indoor air at 50% RH and 75 F outdoor air with a 0.0045 humidity ratio? If 1000P = 5000 + (75-70)C with P lb/h of water and C cfm and P = 60C0.075(wi-wo) with indoor humidity ratio wi = 0.00787, C = 66P, so 1000P = 5000 + 330P, ie P = 7.5 lb/h (0.9 gph) and C = 492 cfm.

Philosophy vs comfort? :-) Sounds irrational...

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam

On Sat 26 Jul 2008 03:05:03a, told us...

I don't have a swamp cooler, don't want a swamp cooler, and if I can set the a/c termostat and know that regardless of outside conditions I will always have 70° indoors, I'm totally satisfied.

Swamp coolers are cheaper to operate, yes, but I can afford to operate the a/c and I like the results, so why bother. And, yes, it's a bother. Maintaining the swamp cooler takes more time and effort. The extremely high mineral content of the local water fouls up the inside, and there's greater risk of mold spores developing.

If you think that's irrational, that's fine by me.

BTW, do you sell these thing?

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

Once you've made up your mind, the reasons don't matter.

Nope.

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam

On Sat 26 Jul 2008 10:43:48a, told us...

Absolutely true.

Just kidding! :-)

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

Wayne Boatwright imagines

Not if their exhaust fan runs when the room RH rises to 50%, with the evaporative cooler in the house, near another open window, running when the room temp rises to 70 F.

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam

On Sun 27 Jul 2008 04:17:20a, told us...

I'll concede the point (and hopefully put and end to this pointless discussion), by agreeing that what you say works, given enough effort in managing the various factors involved. I choose not to.

OTOH, I just flick a switch and don't give it a thought again.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright