Evaporative Cooler putting too much humidity into my house

Page 2 of 2

Once you've made up your mind, the reasons don't matter.

Nope.
Nick
On Sat 26 Jul 2008 10:43:48a, told us...

Absolutely true.

Just kidding! :-)
--
Wayne Boatwright

Not if their exhaust fan runs when the room RH rises to 50%, with the evaporative cooler in the house, near another open window, running when the room temp rises to 70 F.
Nick
On Sun 27 Jul 2008 04:17:20a, told us...

I'll concede the point (and hopefully put and end to this pointless discussion), by agreeing that what you say works, given enough effort in managing the various factors involved. I choose not to.
OTOH, I just flick a switch and don't give it a thought again.
--
Wayne Boatwright
piggybacking

You can't use a swamp cooler when the outdoor air is humid. You also must have decent airflow through the house. All the windows should only be closed so that a tissue will get pressed against a window screen. Typically open all windows 3", especially those farthest away from the swamp cooler.
You might need a swamp cooler with a bigger fan, if there isn't enough airflow.
Mtmartin71 wrote:

Could you, like, switch to the trombone?
Mtmartin71 wrote:

Swamp cooler in CO? It belongs to places like AZ. Here in Alberta we don't use swamp cooler, just a/c units.

I suggest you make a duct to allow the swamp cooler to use indoor vs outdoor air and turn it on with a thermostat when the indoor air temp reaches 75 and run an exhaust fan with a humidistat when the indoor air RH reaches 50%.
Nick
On Jul 24, 1:01pm, snipped-for-privacy@ece.villanova.edu wrote:

Could you temporarily use a small dehumidifier in the room where the instruments are kept?
It's kind of wasted electrcity cos the electrcity the dehumidifier uses will also add heat to the air but that will also help the 'relativve humidity' in that room.
We run one in our basement to reduce humidity and thereby reduce tool rusting.
In our cooler climate in which we do not need or install AC we do get a few relatively humid warmer days and some humid outside air gets into our in-ground cool basement and condenses on things. The higher humidity can occasionally also cause doors to swell, furniture to change shape and furniture drawers to stick etc.
Swamp coolers are not that uncommon in parts of Co. I would definitely think that some windows should be opened so that the humid air escapes and the unit does not just continue to pump more and re water into the air. Larry

Thanks for all the comments. I'm going to have a Heating/Cooling guy come in and look at what I have and see if we can augment with some AC so I don't have to run the evap cooler much if at all. Just sucks to have dumped $2K into the wrong solution 2 summers ago.
Thanks for all the comments. I'm going to have a Heating/Cooling guy come in and look at what I have and see if we can augment with some AC so I don't have to run the evap cooler much if at all. Just sucks to have dumped $2K into the wrong solution 2 summers ago.
But a $99 room AC will at least keep the guitars in good condition.