European loophole for bulb ban

Page 1 of 2
"But there could be hope for those wanting to keep using the incandescent variety – as retailers have found a loophole which allows them to get around the new rules. The EU directive banning the 40W bulb, which comes into force on September 1, refers only to those meant for 'household lamps', meaning shops can continue to supply bulbs intended for 'industrial use' ”.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/energy/9498092/Retailers-avoid-ban-on-traditional-light-bulbs.html
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Sunday, August 26, 2012 3:46:06 AM UTC-7, HeyBub wrote:

What happens if you have a home-office and the garage is your shop?
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 8/26/2012 5:46 AM, HeyBub wrote:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/energy/9498092/Retailers-avoid-ban-on-traditional-light-bulbs.html
"KNOCK! KNOCK!, UN Energy Police! Open Up!" "We know from our energy scans that you have contraband light bulbs in use in your home, OPEN UP NOW! or we will crash through your door!" ^_^
TDD
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Aug 26, 2:40 pm, The Daring Dufas <the-daring-du...@stinky- finger.net> wrote:

CFLs now work so well theres no reason to use incadecents for most applications. I am looking at LED bulbs for some applications
Add pictures here
βœ–

Utter nonsense.

Not there yet.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 8/26/2012 5:15 PM, bob haller wrote:

LED lighting is improving all the time and I think the technology will be the standard within a decade. There is not the mercury pollution problem with them but someone will find that LED lights cause you to grow a third eye or some such nonsense. ^_^
TDD
Add pictures here
βœ–

We just had some additional office space constructed and used LED lighting. I am impressed how well it works and how pleasing the light output is.
Add pictures here
βœ–
In article <c94d64dd-888a-4718-a51f-

Incandescents are the best for news group circle-jerking. No question about it.
Add pictures here
βœ–

You are the expert.
Add pictures here
βœ–

The local DOLLAR STORE has LED night lights which draw about .3 watts, for a dollar. They put out almost as much light as the 4 or 7 watt incandescents, and last a lot longer. I am impressed by the high brightness versions of LEDs, and hope for the price to come down for the larger models. I currently use CFLs throughout the house and, although I really railed against the government as an initial reaction, I am very happy with being able to reach up and unscrew a bulb without burning my hands..... It may be a couple bucks more up front, but the decreased load on my air conditioning together with the decreased electric cost for lighting makes it a good business decision.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 8/27/2012 6:27 AM, Robert wrote:

law. CFLs are actually pretty good and are getting better. LED stuff has come a long way and will continue to improve. I built a new home 3 years ago and installed all CFLs. However, there was one place where they were a dismal failure ... over the bathroom mirror. Either they started out so dim or took so long to to even come on. So, they are now incandescent. I'd bet if they were replace today, I'd find something that would be ok. But, they don't get that much use anyway ... in the grand scheme of things it won't change much. I would like to replace the light that are on every night, with LEDs, but they are just not there yet.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 8/27/2012 8:17 AM, Art Todesco wrote:

Get some newer CFLs. The new ones come on so quickly that I don't notice a difference.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 8/27/2012 9:01 AM, George wrote:

the mirror in each bathroom. They are on for probably less than 10 minutes per day, so it's probably not worth the bother. Maybe when they start burning out, if ever in my life, I'll convert.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Ah, you're a scofflaw. A criminal, the likes of which have seldom been seen. I bet.... naaah..... it's too much to think. You probably have a refrigerator with freon in it?
How this once great nation has changed. And not for the better.
Actually, I know that, however, there are 3 60 watt incandescents above the mirror in each bathroom. They are on for probably less than 10 minutes per day, so it's probably not worth the bother. Maybe when they start burning out, if ever in my life, I'll convert.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Let's get it right, please, even if you jest. The federal and California laws say that you can't make or import the incandescent bulbs that have been phased out. The laws DON'T SAY that you can't buy or use them. Certainly, buy some if you want, use them if you have them and sockets with short burning hours are just the right applications.
Tomsic
Add pictures here
βœ–
I jest. Don't call me Surely.
Let's get it right, please, even if you jest. The federal and California laws say that you can't make or import the incandescent bulbs that have been phased out. The laws DON'T SAY that you can't buy or use them. Certainly, buy some if you want, use them if you have them and sockets with short burning hours are just the right applications.
Tomsic
Add pictures here
βœ–
If CFL is such a good decision, people will make the decision on their own. Not having to be forced by government mandate. The choice should be left to consumers, not to government dictates from above.
The USA is supposed to be the land of the free, not the land of the government dictates.
although I really railed against the government as an initial reaction, I am very happy with being able to reach up and unscrew a bulb without burning my hands..... It may be a couple bucks more up front, but the decreased load on my air conditioning together with the decreased electric cost for lighting makes it a good business decision.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 08/27/2012 05:27 AM, Robert wrote:

Also, you can get CFLs that give you WHITE light, rather than the dirty yellow of incandescents.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us
Mark Lloyd wrote:

The SUN is a dirty yellow and the eyes of all creatures are adapted to it.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Are these 120 volt candelabra (E12) base screw-in bulbs? What brand are they?
--
When a cat sits in a human's lap both the human and the cat are usually
happy. The human is happy because he thinks the cat is sitting on him/her