Ethanol subsidies and tariffs end

Page 4 of 5

You'll notice the ethanol mandate itself remains untouched. Blenders are still required by law to include a certain percentage of ethanol in the total fuel they sell.
Continued mandate + no subsidy = more expensive gas.
--
Tegger

On 12/28/2011 9:56 AM, Tegger wrote:

And now our numbnutz government is getting ready to force E15 on us.
If it's not working.... do it harder!
And now our numbnutz government is getting ready to force E15 on us.
That only makes the cost more visible (not coming from our income taxes instead). And makes the cost felt by those who use the product.
You'll notice the ethanol mandate itself remains untouched. Blenders are still required by law to include a certain percentage of ethanol in the total fuel they sell.
Continued mandate + no subsidy = more expensive gas.
--
Tegger

I guess you could say that's an advance from the previous position.
--
Tegger

Tegger wrote:

Don't think so. Ethanol from Brazil, as the article pointed out, is WAY cheaper than domestic ethanol. On the order of $1.00 per gallon cheaper.
Besides, if more corn is redirected to food, thousands of Mexicans will quit trying to sneak into the U.S. to get cheaper tortillas. Corn is REALLY expensive in Mexico (they export it to the U.S.).

But you still need to get it up here, which costs.
There's a catch somewhere in this whole mess. There are way too many farm- state votes at stake for this to be as simple as it appears on the surface.
--
Tegger

That dollar cheaper, from what I understand - is LANDED COST.

On 12/27/2011 7:55 PM, HeyBub wrote:

http://pjmedia.com/lifestyle/2011/12/26/subsidies-on-domestic-ethanol-tariffs-on-imported-ethanol-end /
Switchgrass is a plentiful biomass to use for ethanol production and I don't know why it hasn't received the push it needs to be the new source for ethanol.
http://www.farmland.org/programs/environment/renewable-energy/Ethanol-Switchgrass-Biofuels.asp?gclid=CLLI1Y-gpa0CFYEmtAodEnarWA
http://preview.tinyurl.com/cxpry9u
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panicum_virgatum
TDD
On Wed, 28 Dec 2011 11:11:23 -0600, The Daring Dufas

cellulose to ethanol., while converting corn sugar to ethanol is an age-old, proven, and "american" tradition. (it's Moonshine)
On 12/28/2011 3:27 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I tend to believe that corn is more valuable as a food source than as a raw material to produce alcohol. The fact that it has a lot of food value makes it a lot easier to turn into ethanol. What I think are the best things about switchgrass is its hardiness and ability to be grown just about anywhere. I would also assume it is more disease resistant than corn. A little bioengineering can make it even more valuable.
http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2011/jan/12/sold-on-switchgrass-biofuel-gamble-farmers-crop /
http://preview.tinyurl.com/br2d53b
http://newscenter.lbl.gov/feature-stories/2011/11/18/corny-switchgrass /
http://preview.tinyurl.com/bpz7254
TDD
If it were economically in demand, I'm sure someone would figure it out. But, the imported petroleum is less expensive. Wish the Fed would stop manipulating the markets. I know they won't stop, regardless of my wishes.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
The Daring Dufas wrote:

http://www.farmland.org/programs/environment/renewable-energy/Ethanol-Switchgrass-Biofuels.asp?gclid=CLLI1Y-gpa0CFYEmtAodEnarWA

Because Dubya mentioned switchgrass in his last State of the Union address, and we *know* that anything he says has to be evil and stupid and should be dismissed -- even when he's right.
You knew that already, didn't you?
-Bob
On 12/30/2011 8:10 PM, zxcvbob wrote:

Only from those who are afflicted with Bush Derangement Syndrome. I wish those folks would get over it and try to do their part as citizens and support anyone who can get the country back on top. ^_^
TDD

so the question becomes: how many barrels of oil were not need for gasoline production over the past 30 years and what was the value of the gas they would have produced?
On Wed, 28 Dec 2011 18:16:21 -0800, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"

overall, is only a SMALL percentage of the number of gallons of ethanol produced and burned as motor fuel. A VERY SMALL percentage..
At $0.45 per gallon for E10, the SUBSIDY amounts to $4.50 per gallon of ethanol, more or less.
Brazilian ethanol, made from Cane Sugar, costs a lot less to produce than North American corn hooch. - including a whole lot less natural-gas-sourced Nitrogen fertilizer.

No. The reduced energy content of Ethanol means it only displaces 2/3 of a gallon of gasoline.

required to produce it.
On Thu, 29 Dec 2011 11:35:32 -0800, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"

No, every gallon of ethanol produced from corn CONSUMES aproxemately 1 gallon of gasoline/diesel/natural gas to produce, so it only displaces a SMALL FRACTION of a gallon of gasoline by it's use.

<...snipped...>

Cut out all the middlemen and the expensive processing. Use horses, mules, or oxen and feed the corn directly to them.