Eternal September, offline?

Is it just me, or is Eternal September offline? Can't get connected.
Anthony Valastrano wrote:

NFG here too....
Cant even reach their website.
http://eternalseptember.org
Maybe Wolfgang didn't pay his electric bill.
You get what you pay for...
Jeff (Using giganews for three bucks a month.)
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)
jeff_wisnia wrote:

I left the hyphen out of the website URL
http://eternal-september.org
Is still there, but the news server looks kaput.
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)
jeff_wisnia wrote:

I'm aving a VERY bad day. The URL is:
http://www.eternal-september.org /
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)

Yes it is down.
G. Morgan wrote:

It was down earlier today but I'm posting from it now.
TDD
Testing! Testing!
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

It is. http://www.eternal-september.org/serverstatus.php?language=en
I just got a brand spanking new "block" account 5GB @ BlockNews.Net for like $2.50. It never expires either.
Anthony Valastrano wrote:

Just came back up for me.
Me, too. I was offline.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Anthony Valastrano wrote:

Did not go off line for me but now every time I want to look at a group it asks if I want to subscribe and treats as a second group. Wonder what gives?
Dunno, Tony. I was offline much of Sunday.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 21:38:10 -0500, Anthony Valastrano wrote:

Didn't try yesterday, when you posted, but it's been a little erratic for a few days now for me - slow to connect, posting sometimes fails etc.
Not sure if it's just down to the volume of users, hardware issues, or if some moron's trying a DoS attack on their server(s)...
cheers
Jules
Lastnight, it was offline for me. This AM, back on. My guess is too many users, and not enough capacity.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Hows about server upgrades or maintenance? The service runs on donations a know.
TDD
On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 13:04:16 -0600, The Daring Dufas wrote:

From eternal-september.support yesterday:
<<< | Seems we were treated to a repeat performance last night, | the user count graph looks like it hit the ceiling ...
That's just because there are no monitor data available for this period. It looks as if the server drops dead from one second to the next without leaving a trace in the logs. I'm still trying to find out what's happening there, I suspect a hardware problem with a memory module, though. >>>
... which makes me think it might do a bit more bouncing up and down until the actual fault's found.
cheers
Jules
The Daring Dufas wrote:

Ray was sleeping and he is THE maintainer. There is an E-S support newsgroup.
Lou
LouB wrote:

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ! It can happen. Computer hardware doesn't fail as often as it did in the old days when all the logic and memory circuits were constructed with discrete components. I repaired some crane controls back in the late 70's and each circuit card was a separate op amp, comparator or logic circuit made up of separate transistors, resistors, capacitors, etc. One card I saw had MOV's that were the size of AA batteries. It was a lot of fun sorting all that out.
TDD

It went off-line sunday night.
You can check here for server status
Green = online
Red = off
http://www.eternal-september.org/serverstatus.php?language=en
Jim

Can also PING the server from a command prompt.
Sample:
C:\\>ping news.eternal-september.org
Pinging news.eternal-september.org [188.40.43.213] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 188.40.43.213: bytes2 time0ms TTLT Reply from 188.40.43.213: bytes2 time0ms TTLT Reply from 188.40.43.213: bytes2 time0ms TTLT Reply from 188.40.43.213: bytes2 time9ms TTLT
Ping statistics for 188.40.43.213: Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss), Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds: Minimum = 189ms, Maximum = 190ms, Average = 189ms