Eternal drip - bathtub

Greetings,

I belong to little brick bungalow in a midwest city, built in 1954. Tiled bath is all original.

In the bathtub, there is a shower head up high, a spout for bathwater, and 3 controls: hot, cold, and a valve control to direct flow to shower or to tub spout.

The tub spout has always dripped. Switched to either the shower or the tub water. I've replaced the rubber washers twice: doesn't help.

There is a long stem with screw/washer at the end. It fits into a brass cylinder with the valve seat in the bottom. The brass cylinder for cold came out with the stem: the one for hot was stuck in there. The seats inside the cylinders are in good shape.

It's like there are 2 seats: one where the rubber washer engages, another with no seal where the end of the brass cylinder meets the water source. I dunno how the second seat works/fails.

Any suggestions how to drip-proof such gear? Damned thing'll drive po' me crazy before much longer.

TIA, Puddin'

Pease pudding hot, Pease pudding cold, Pease pudding in the pot Nine days old.

Reply to
Puddin' Man

Both Kohler and American Standard used a "barrel" design like that. After exactly 52 years, the barrel no longer seals perfectly to the brass casting. So, it drips....

The new replacement barrels have O-rings which seal every time. Take the old one(s) out and bring to bigbox store or hardware and get new (Hot and Cold may be different).

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim wrote in news:P9%Pg.3338$e66.3174 @newssvr13.news.prodigy.com:

A real marvel how they can engineer that in right from the get go.

Reply to
Al Bundy

Thanks to Speedy Jim for useful info.

Looked and looked but couldn't find that 52-year timer ... :-)

My hot barrel wouldn't even come out. But I'll fiddle until it's fixed.

Salut, Puddin'