esWell pressure SOMETIMES go down with house shut off?

Page 2 of 2

Very minor point: No, it doesn't matter that much that there's a vacuum, only that the pipe is partially "empty". The vacuum is just the reason for it being empty. Although, if it were empty because of an air leak, you would have other problems.

You problem is the check valve at the pump. Water is bleeding back into the well thru the pump. You'll have to replace the check valve at the pump, not the tank. Most pumps have built in check valves. Even if your has a built in check valve, you can add another AT the pump rather than tear the pump apart to replace the built in one. Yes, check valves can hold and then not hold.
Hank

If the check valve at my tank worked it should hold pressure even if the one at the pump failed?
Water is bleeding back

I though I could buy time by replacing the easy to get at tank check valve first, but from comments it sounds like I should not have one at the tank. Thank you for help.

The check valve at the tank will hold pressure in the system if it doesn't leak. The system can operate for years with a bad pump valve but one at the tank. I know of no reason why one cannot be at the tank, it is just normally not needed on a submersible pump installation.
Harry K

It could (and most likely is) be a leak between the tank checkvalve and the pump...well, maybe not if the problem is intermittent.
Harry K