estimates from contractors

Providing preliminary work for potential client is acceptable everywhere and normal business practice. Real Estate buyers agents spend weeks and months showing perspective buyers properties before they actually buy anything. I spent 4 months seeing more then two dozens properties changing one agent before you bought my house. How would you react to the agent asking you for $100 before he shows you the property you want to see? How about a salesperson in a furniture store demanding $50 for explaining why this mattress you are eying is better then others? Layers and financial planners give free no obligation consultation meaning when then talk to you for an hour there is no guarantee they will get you as a client. And their hour cost much more then yours.

Reply to
Sasha

Please post enough of the message you're responding to so that we can all know.

Incidentally, your analogies are very poor.

In my experience, the only realtors who will show you houses unless they've listed yours with them or you've got a very strong reference are newbies. The pros seek listings, not buyers. The same applies to lawyers and financial planners.

I'm a contractor, doing smaller remodelling projects -- $20 -50 thousand. If you call off an ad, I will discuss your project over the phone and give you a ballpark -- ie over 25, under 30. If you seem open and above board, I'll come to your house for a look -- and you probably get an hour of my time. ... and again, a ballpark, and the phone numbers of references.

I want you to meet me, I want you to see my work ,... but I don't want to give you a free design, I don't want to tell you how to do it yourself ... and I don't want to give you a firm number so you know how much to pay your brother in law.

Ken

.
Reply to
bambam

You're preaching to the choir here but..

Most of those people don't have to drive to your house to give you that advice and if you bought a house from another agent after one showed it to you, he would be upset. There are a few who will give a free estimate (and it depends very much on the trade) but you can bet they do not have an 800 number and probably work alone (or almost)

Reply to
Chris O'Connor

I don't have a clue what you are talking about here. You are not even making sense. I am just glad that I don't have to work for people like you.

Cheers!

Reply to
Robert Allison