estimates from contractors

Page 2 of 2
I would never hire you nor advise anyone to do so. Providing detailed, professional, honest estimation is absolutely necessary part of any contract job small or big not only in home improvement but anywhere else.

Honesty is the only criteria. If you don't have that, none of the details are needed. now will they make a difference. Are the others necessary? Not really, I've done $100,000 deals with nothing more than a handshake and I've been screwed on $300 jobs with a detailed estimate. Honesty and integrity. Everything else is superfluous.
Sasha wrote:

And based on your response, I would probably not work for you. You would probably be happier with the less experienced contractor that does a detailed estimate right up front.
This is a good example of what I try to avoid. If you read and understood my original response, you would know that I do a detailed proposal with specifications when a client wants to use me. I do a detailed estimate for them, I just don't provide them with the details. I give them the bottom line with a description of the work that cannot be used by anyone else to prepare an estimate. Based on that, and their impression of me and my work (like I said ALL of my work is through referrals), we can form a partnership to get the project done. At that point they receive my detailed proposal, but not before.
I am completely covered up with work because I am better than most other contractors. I don't need clients that tell me how to run my business. After all, I am the professional in this field.
--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

Tell him in a positive way that you're really interested in having him work on the project but you want to have some things spelled out in the proposal. He should be happy to revise it. That's been my experience.
You're absolutely right that you need to have the type of roofing specified in the contract. And ask questions about the material (what's the fire resistance rating, which brand of roofing, which style of shingles, warrantees on workmanship and materials should be specified, etc.). If he really is a top operation, he'll expect to provide that information, and furthermore provide documentation on the final invoice for any material with a manufacturer warranty (like shingles) so if the roofing fails and he's retired, you can have proof for the manufacturer.
Check out his reputation with the BBB, how long he's been in business and whether there are any complaints registered. About paying half up front... I hope "up front" means "on the day the work starts." OTOH, a deposit on signing is reasonable.