Estimate for driveway apron: too high or OK

When I bought my house, the driveway apron--the part between the city-owned street and the city-owned sidewalk--was a mess, with big chunks of cement broken off the top right corner and left on the municipal grass. Part of the cement walk inside the gates was almost as bad: fragmented, so low I had 8 inches of water collect next to the mailbox during a thunderstorm, etc. I got a couple of estimates from the "professionals" advertising in the newspaper and the yellow pages, then called the appropriate union to see what they had to say in the matter. It came to $1,400, $300 more than the other companies had asked but they hadn't included the cement walk. Does the union estimate sound reasonable for southeastern US (Louisiana)? zemedelec

Reply to
Zemedelec